fountain filter box

Reaction score
Every year I pull the pump and filter box for winter but decided to leave pump in pond after reading it can dry out and not work right. What should I do with filter box, usually I clean box and filter screen and store them in the basement. Can this also cause the screen on filter box to dry out? Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have them in my stock tanks and all I do is take the filter foam out and put the pump back in the box and put it back in the stock tank on the bottom/

Reaction score
If you leave the pump in the pond make sure that it is deep enough that it doesn't freeze. Do you have a picture of your filter box? I would worry about it driying out unless the manufacture says it will same with the pump.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
That really depends on what the box is made of. It may or may not be permeable which makes all the difference.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have the tetra ones and got them on sale real cheap at ollies . I have left them sitting in the basement for 3 years and used them last year when I rebuilt the pond .Before that I had used them in the pond in the winter months .Except I just put lava rocks around the pump in the box .They have been dropped left outside and neglected badly

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I have the tetra ones and got them on sale real cheap at ollies . I have left them sitting in the basement for 3 years and used them last year when I rebuilt the pond .Before that I had used them in the pond in the winter months .Except I just put lava rocks around the pump in the box .They have been dropped left outside and neglected badly
And they are still viable ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
my pumps sit in plastic milk crates with screen around them in the pond. They get turned off and stay in place all winter. Then turned back on in the spring. I do place my air stones that keep holes in the ice above the pumps when they are off so I don't risk the pumps freezing solid.

My skippies I just open the drain valves after I shut the pump off and leave everything as is, dry through the winter. In the spring before I turn it back on Ill spray water from the hose in the top of the skippies with the drains open to clean out the debri, close the valves and plug the pumps back in.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Those poor boxes have been through the war here and so far in great shape .I used the crates in my old pond also and just left them but the filter boxes were easier to lift out because the lids fit pretty tight and I could just pull the whole thing up by the fountain head so they were easier in the winter to clean when they were running .

Reaction score
The box is a plastic beckett filter box that a fountain sits in,im not sure what the screen is made of. Thanks for your replies.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
same one I have .screening feels like metal to me but must be fiberglass .Mine sits outside on the ground now for at least 3 weeks

Ask a Question