Fountain in center of formal pond

Reaction score
I have to put a statue (fountain) in the center of a formal pond. does anyone have any suggestions for support? Could it also provide cover for the fish? Water is 2.5 ft deep. Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
put extra liner under it and be really careful no slips and falls .Is it in a lined pond or concrete any fish .I had to use a fork lift for mine in NJ .Only way to get the center large piece in there and smaller ones on top were easy .It was all concrete and no liner .We did lift the bottom one up on blocks as per instructions so we could get the large hose up through the center easier .If we had not done that the hose would never have turned the corner to go up .It was a flexible hose but not that flexible and lucky I have small hands because even with it lifted it was still hard .They said in directions to lift it one inch and we had to go 4 inches .We could have tried putting the hose in first ,but the rough cement inside really made it hard to push up the opening .We figure instead of tripping over it do it last .Not sure which was better of course . :razz:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
greetings-495.gif
Fast eddie
If the statue is made of heavy concrete or similar weight I would think as long as the surface it sits on is level it would not topple over. If it's lightweight then maybe you could put some heavy decorative rocks around the bottom right up against it to hold it in place. Or maybe you could make a box to set it in and fill the box w/ gravel,rocks or sand?

Reaction score
I have a cast concrete fountain sitting in my informal pond.

IMG_0096.JPG

I did it all wrong the first time. The second time .....

I leveled and tamped the sand where the fountain would sit. Then I put saltillo tile where the fountain would sit. Then I put an old bathrug over the tile. Then in went the liner. I used scrap pieces of liner to sit more saltillo tile on top of the saltillo tile under the liner. Finally, I sat concrete block on top of the saltillo clay tile. The concrete block openings are to the pond so the fish can swim through them and hide out inside the block.

Lastly, the fountain came with it's own pump and is intended to be a self contained system. I didn't much like that method, so when we redid it, I branched off the main pump to feed the fountain. Water from the fountain basin overflows back to the pond. Creates a nice effect, and helps with filtration.

My fountain is a cast concrete (sealed) fountain. It takes three men and a gimp to get it in place. Don't need to worry about it blowing over in a storm. Making sure the surface is level, and will not settle after it has a heavy fountain full of water is kind of critical.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! Ah, another Louisianian! Shreveport, here. Have any pics of this project? Does the pond have a liner, concrete....?

Ask a Question