Fountain pump running continuously--is it necessary?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
I have recently purchased a new pump for my fountains. I noticed when reading through the pamphlet that it says repeated cycling on/off will shorten the life span of the pump. I have always set the timer to turn the pump off for nighttime, as there is no need for the fountains to keep running overnight. Does anyone know about this recommendation for continuous operation? Btw--I do not have any fish in this pond, nor does it get cold enough for the water to freeze.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
The previous pump lived almost 4 years. It was an Atlantic TidalWave3 4000. I have bought the same brand again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Generally letting the pump run dry or exposing the gaskets to the air is what will shorten it's life span if the pump sits in the pond i doubt there's any harm if not running

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Generally letting the pump run dry or exposing the gaskets to the air is what will shorten it's life span if the pump sits in the pond i doubt there's any harm if not running
GB; there's a surge upon startup that WILL shorten the pump's life compared to continuous. Your point re seals is also accurate.

smilie-sword-twirl-masked.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
hmmmm....your point re: surge at start-up is one I hadn't thought of. We've never had it run dry, although it once came darn close! I will see about changing it to run all the time. The home owners near that pond might be happy to have it running, as they live close to a busy road and the fountains provide some white noise to muffle the sound of traffic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
hmmmm....your point re: surge at start-up is one I hadn't thought of. We've never had it run dry, although it once came darn close! I will see about changing it to run all the time. The home owners near that pond might be happy to have it running, as they live close to a busy road and the fountains provide some white noise to muffle the sound of traffic.
by having it run continuously, your water will be in better shape and mosquitoes won't breed in moving water (another benefit). Still water is where the grunge factor begins.

smt2b.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
OMG!!!! The world is coming to an END!!! Take note, all you GPFers; @GBBUDD has taken a knee and JOINED @j.w 's lil aniClub!!! Geez, SOOOO many cultural instutions are being razed to the ground...sob!

With tears in eyes (of joy, of course!), I humbly welcome you to kiss the Queen's ring, GB, and inherit all the accolades and amenities due your acquiescence! :giggle: :D :cool:

Oh how stunning and brave!

heh heh

smt2b.gif

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have recently purchased a new pump for my fountains. I noticed when reading through the pamphlet that it says repeated cycling on/off will shorten the life span of the pump. I have always set the timer to turn the pump off for nighttime, as there is no need for the fountains to keep running overnight. Does anyone know about this recommendation for continuous operation? Btw--I do not have any fish in this pond, nor does it get cold enough for the water to freeze.
Pond pumps are made to run continuously I was told

Ask a Question