Fountain with which GPH pump?

Reaction score
Okay, Experts, this is going to sound like a dumb question, but it's something I've been stuck on for awhile. Please don't laugh at me. :cheerful: I have a 5000 gallon pond, two 6 inch koi fish, 2 unknown new little fish, skimmer, pump, waterfall filter, maybe a bog, then a stream, then a waterfall without a filter, then more of the stream that goes to the pond. It's clear right now. I would like to add a bell fountain for more movement/aeration. Since I already have the pump and filter working well, do I really need a fountain that is suitable for a 5,000 gallon pond? Couldn't I get by with a smaller one, that passes less water per hour since it's not my main pump/filtration? I don't want to spend $400 on a fountain, and I am unable to find an answer to this on all the advertisements and at the local pond shop. Of course, they want me to buy the most expensive thing.

Also, I plan on fixing the part where the stream connects to the pond. The rock fell off, and it no longer looks like another waterfall. I think fixing this will add more aeration. The fish really like that spot. I don't think you can have too much movement in the water, can you?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
do I really need a fountain that is suitable for a 5,000 gallon pond? Couldn't I get by with a smaller one, that passes less water per hour since it's not my main pump/filtration?
Yes a smaller head will work. These heads are $12 on amazon and they have pumps.

415l4BpIN3L._SL500_SS75_.jpg

If your existing pump has a prefilter you could just tee off the output and run some water to a small fountain head instead of buying a pump. With a valve you could adjust the fountian flow. But it is nearly as cheap to buy a pump.
You can have as much water movement as you want, but if you have lilies they like calm water. As others have pointed out in other threads one can put a ring of rocks just past the waterfall to isolate the rest of the pond from the waterfall's waves.

Reaction score
HTH said:
Yes a smaller head will work. These heads are $12 on amazon and they have pumps.

415l4BpIN3L._SL500_SS75_.jpg

If your existing pump has a prefilter you could just tee off the output and run some water to a small fountain head instead of buying a pump. With a valve you could adjust the fountian flow. But it is nearly as cheap to buy a pump.
You can have as much water movement as you want, but if you have lilies they like calm water. As others have pointed out in other threads one can put a ring of rocks just past the waterfall to isolate the rest of the pond from the waterfall's waves.
Thank you so much for this advice! I had a lily near my waterfall, but I moved it over to the calmer water. I think I'll hold off on the fountain for now because I would like more lilies. Going from a naked pond to lilies has been a pleasure to watch. Yesterday, one of the lilies opened up. Ah, the simple things in life! ;o)

Reaction score
dieselplower said:
I think a couple hundred gallons per hour is plenty for a fountain whose purpose is decoration and aeration.
Thanks, Dieselplower. That is very helpful. I might still do a small spitting frog or something on the opposite side of the lilies.

Ask a Question