Free Koi to a Good Home!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Try not to do any water changes untill afterI pick up if thats ok. I will use your pond water to transport. Also dont feen after say friday so they can poop out. This will help.
Sunday at 11 would be great, I won't change the water or feed after friday. My email is (e-mail address removed) to confirm/give directions. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Try not to do any water changes untill afterI pick up if thats ok. I will use your pond water to transport. Also dont feen after say friday so they can poop out. This will help.
Great, will do. My email is (e-mail address removed) to confirm/for directions. Thanks again Chris

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
koidaddy not sure if you have one of those power inverters that plug into the 12v socket on your car, but if you do then you could take a small aquarium air stone and use that to give them plenty of oxygen. Wally world has a cheap one you could get.

http://www.walmart.c...indingMethod=rr
Thanks taherrmann, I have one ready to go. Thats the first thing I thought of. I am going to transport in two/three 35 gallon tubs with air stones going into each. They should be ok for the hour and a half drive. I am getting the Q pond going today with water from the main pond. Not sure I need to q them but better safe then sorry I guess.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good deal and nice of you to take them koidaddy. They look like lovely fish and will love their new home and Chris will be able to see how they are doing right here on the forum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, it's like I just witnessed an adoption first hand! I feel so excited for both of you. I went 2.5 hours to buy my koi from a breeder that I met through this forum. He told me to get a couple of battery operated aerators from the bait department in Wal-Mart, and bring a large cooler. (None of the 7 koi that I bought were as large as your smallest one, though.) I had no idea those battery operated aerators even existed. And, now I also realize that I can use them for aeration in my indoor aquariums in the winter time if the storms blow out the electricity for an extended period of time as well. Never thought about that!
Sounds like KoiDaddy has all bases covered, I learned alot through this thread, too!
Good luck to both of you, and we are all going to want to see pics of the two owners (old and new) before you part ways! And, as I've learned and I'm sure all you pros already know, please take pics before you put them in your Q-tank, KoiDaddy, so we (and CalicoChris) can see what they each look like. How lucky you are, KoiDaddy! Happy ending soon!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Wow, it's like I just witnessed an adoption first hand! I feel so excited for both of you. I went 2.5 hours to buy my koi from a breeder that I met through this forum. He told me to get a couple of battery operated aerators from the bait department in Wal-Mart, and bring a large cooler. (None of the 7 koi that I bought were as large as your smallest one, though.) I had no idea those battery operated aerators even existed. And, now I also realize that I can use them for aeration in my indoor aquariums in the winter time if the storms blow out the electricity for an extended period of time as well. Never thought about that!
Sounds like KoiDaddy has all bases covered, I learned alot through this thread, too!
Good luck to both of you, and we are all going to want to see pics of the two owners (old and new) before you part ways! And, as I've learned and I'm sure all you pros already know, please take pics before you put them in your Q-tank, KoiDaddy, so we (and CalicoChris) can see what they each look like. How lucky you are, KoiDaddy! Happy ending soon!
Thanks for all of your words of encouragement! I have to say that my husband (also Chris!) and I are very happy that koidaddy is willing to take them to a great new home but also sad because they are the sweetest pets we have owned. I know it is in their best interest to have a larger home and they will be happier in the long run. I am really grateful that koidaddy is willing to make the trip and take care of them! I too have learned a lot from this thread as well as from the wonderful, generous people on the Garden Pond Forum....if only I had known them all before I started this project.....the things I would have known....oh well, I will use all of the infinite knowledge to move on with new (smaller) fish!

Reaction score
When I worked at an Aquarium and we had to do relocation of clients reef tanks we used coolers. If the trips where far we would use either battery operated air pumps or use inverters for them. The only thing is that you don't need too much water since surface area is really what is needed. Also the airstones will tend to float so use some weights to keep them down. We would even transport live corals and invertebrates this way and never had any problems. Glad to here the fish will have a good home.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips on transport. I will take some pics. Also, thank you for offering up your babies Chris. I will take great care of them. After quarantine they will go into the 2500 gallon pond. I will be enlarging the pond in the next year back to 4500 gallons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Also, I have no idea how you grew your koi to such large lengths in the size pond you have, unless you purchased them when they were larger. I have a 4,000 gal pond, and I feed my fish, and I know they have all grown a lot since first put in there on July 2, but the size of your fish? WOW!!! You must have been doing something right, and taking fantastic care of them for them to be such beauties! Yes, they will be much happier, and you will get new fish and learn to love them just as much as you do the ones you have now, but on a smaller scale. My motto on life, "Things work out for the best", and this situation is definitely working out for the best for all concerned! When you buy goldfish, pick and choose them for what you really want! I wish I could send you some of my babies that I have! Again, I just built my pond in May, fish went in first weekend in July, and I already have goldfish babies (the goldies were in before the koi, so they were there since mid-June). I have some beauties, but I know everyone else is the same, their babies are the cutest! :)

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I am curious of the size also for that young but if daily water changes were being done it can help. In my indoor 180 gallon oscar tank, when I was fighting high ammonia(before my wet dry filter), I was doing two 50% water changes a day for a week and I noticed amazing growth in that time. Either way I am exceited to be helping out a fellow ponder and being able to aquire some new members for my pond is just a plus. I also live by the "pay it forward" motto so something will be coming someones way soon.

Ask a Question