Freeze advisory

Reaction score
Temperatures in Delaware are dropping to 28 degrees the next two nights and I was wondering if I should unplug pump and fountain to help keep the water at the bottom from getting to cold.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am leaving mine run, the pond water has been up to 60, now down to 52. I have a lot of surface area that really cools the water down. The fish do fine. I would only worry if we were diving down and staying down.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Temperatures in Delaware are dropping to 28 degrees the next two nights and I was wondering if I should unplug pump and fountain to help keep the water at the bottom from getting to cold.

Well, it's going down to 7F tonight, but I've had the waterfall running for about two weeks with the two Skippy's full of water and running, so turning it off now is out of the question. Gotta keep that water running. Of course the waterfall is covered in ice.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Burrrrrrrrrrrrr I will keep our 29f, 24f tomorrow night

Reaction score
I am leaving mine run, the pond water has been up to 60, now down to 52. I have a lot of surface area that really cools the water down. The fish do fine. I would only worry if we were diving down and staying down.
Mine has been running a few weeks now to, with water temps in the 50,s , I did go out and put a heavy blanket over the UV filter , I am worried about it freezing and cracking.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

Definitely not! My water temps are at 58F and nothing will freeze nor drop that dramatically from a few cold nights. My system has been up and running since 2/27. I also have my UV's running ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Temps dropped below freezing in Ohio today. My goldfish are lined up side-by-side in a straight line at the bottom, all pointing the same direction and totally motionless.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Well, it's going down to 7F tonight, but I've had the waterfall running for about two weeks with the two Skippy's full of water and running, so turning it off now is out of the question. Gotta keep that water running. Of course the waterfall is covered in ice.

I never had to shut down this year , but 7 would get me a little nervous

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
26 right now, the pond has dropped to 45. It cools a lot with the bog running. A lot of cooling surface area.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Keeping mine running too. Going into the teens but all is good this morning. I bit of ice cover but that is all.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I elected to keep it running as well. It went down to 28F. Read all these replies now I realized i may have to worry in the future about my new UV that I added 3 weeks ago.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Well, my temps were 58F... Yikes, 26F last night, tonight and isn't getting much better by the weekend. Water temps down to 50F ...

Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 5.36.23 PM.png

Ask a Question