Freeze warning?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So we've been issued a hard freeze warning for tonight and I am not sure what to do with my plants. As some of you know I just planted several plants in my new bog on saturday, and also today I planted some bearded iris in the landscape that I brought from my parent's house yesterday.......What do I do, will my plants suffer, should I cover them? They are all perennials for my area..... Oh and I also have a magnolia tree still in the pot outside that we have not even planted yet.....
thanks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have had many freeze warnings. The plants do fine, all perennials. I even had the taro out when we got smacked with a few hard freezes, it even survived. You should be fine.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
spray them with water and it will help some of the plants survive .We will get down to 39 tonight and 34 tomorrow night but up around 70 during the day ,really strange weather .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Spray them with water? I haven't ever heard of doing that. Does that go with the ones in the bog too, or just what I planted in the surrounding landscape?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have been having freeze warnings for the past few days. My taro is outside in the pond. So far a little burn to the leaves ow it is doing fine. The water will keep the plants warmer, so far no freeze damage to the bog plants, they are putting out some nice flowers. Some land plants have lost some of their new growth in a freeze a few weeks ago or so. Unless the temperature goes down and stays down hard the plants should be ok. The ones you should worry about are tomatoes etc, mine are still in our living room waiting to go outside. I started them from seeds, now over a foot high and growing some flowers.

We have had hard enough freezes to need to scrape the cars windows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, so far I think my plants seem to be doing ok. The flowers that were left on my potted magnolia tree are browning, but I figured that would happen no matter what. The bog plants still haven't started growing at all since I planted them, but they also aren't turning brown or wilting either. Now the 2 plants I transplanted from mom's I don't know. The iris leaves seem to be wilting a lot, but are still nice and green. The other little purple flower (no idea what it is) is all flopping over now too, although still nice and green. I did spray them all with water though and today when I went to the nursery to get some russian sage they told me that they're expecting the freezing nights to stop after tonight, so I could plant those tomorrow.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love the russian sage, great smell Mine are doing fine with the freezing, the little buds are still growing and green

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have you seen the lemon scented ,not sure what it is but looks like a pine but smells like lemon and is a yellowish green .I saw it at lowes today,well really smelled it first .

Ask a Question