Freshwater Clams

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Since another discussion reminded me of this idea, I thought I would start a new thread. Does anyone have clams in their pond? Any problems that we should be aware of?

From my brief reading on them...
  • They are filter-feeders and supposedly help with green water
  • Their movement is limited, so it does not appear likely that they could climb the walls of a man-made pond
  • Certain species eject their young into the water, which can act like a parasite and clog a fish's gills
  • Fish may eat very small clams
  • If there is not enough food in the water, the clam population will die back, but you must remove dead ones (although I would think that would provide a feast for the fish?)
  • Any parasitic and invertebrate medications will kill the clams. This includes copper treatments.
I know they do well in sand, but I can't seem to find if they can bury into pea gravel. I did manage to find some on ebay that look ideal -- only grow to 2", are live-bearing inside the adult clams so they do not hurt the fish, and tolerate temperatures of 35F-84F / 2C-30C. This appears to be the same species and has a lot of good info on them: http://www.issg.org/database/species/ecology.asp?fr=1&si=537

So, any thoughts on keeping them in a pond?

Reaction score
Since another discussion reminded me of this idea, I thought I would start a new thread. Does anyone have clams in their pond? Any problems that we should be aware of?

From my brief reading on them...
  • They are filter-feeders and supposedly help with green water
  • Their movement is limited, so it does not appear likely that they could climb the walls of a man-made pond
  • Certain species eject their young into the water, which can act like a parasite and clog a fish's gills
  • Fish may eat very small clams
  • If there is not enough food in the water, the clam population will die back, but you must remove dead ones (although I would think that would provide a feast for the fish?)
  • Any parasitic and invertebrate medications will kill the clams. This includes copper treatments.
I know they do well in sand, but I can't seem to find if they can bury into pea gravel. I did manage to find some on ebay that look ideal -- only grow to 2", are live-bearing inside the adult clams so they do not hurt the fish, and tolerate temperatures of 35F-84F / 2C-30C. This appears to be the same species and has a lot of good info on them: http://www.issg.org/database/species/ecology.asp?fr=1&si=537

So, any thoughts on keeping them in a pond?

I think its a very neat idea, someone else wants to do a brackish pond setup, I think its really cool to have so many people trying out these unique ideas. I don't see why it wouldn't work out....I personally wouldn't do it because they would be almost invisible and I have read that they create more waste than good they do so its really your call.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I kept clams for a while long, long ago, in an aquarium. (I've kept just about everything, even lampreys) I CAN tell you that one dead 3" clam can REALLY pollute a 15-gallon tank! :yuck:
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I know the dead ones will contaminate the water, but really isn't that true of fish too? Its odd, I haven't read anything about live clams creating waste, only that they remove the algae from the water. Talal did you have any more info on this?

Reaction score
I know the dead ones will contaminate the water, but really isn't that true of fish too? Its odd, I haven't read anything about live clams creating waste, only that they remove the algae from the water. Talal did you have any more info on this?

Honestly I do not have direct experience with them, I read some time ago about it though, I also read that they can be quite sensitive to water conditions and do in fact NEED sand substrate because they need something soft so that they can "walk" around on the bottom using their tiny foot. I could have read it from an inexperienced person so please do not take it as a strict rule. Also please be careful that you quarantine for a long time because I have also read that they can be full of diseases.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
When the algae tails off, so do the mussels... they all die in one go...

There are miniscule mussels about 1/2" in size which are a treat and rather more proportional for an ornamental pond

It's a bit of a novelty to take two big oyster shells, hinge them together (no oyster required) and rig an airstone to twizzle bubbles into the lid, which opens periodically...

Regards, andy
http://swglist.wordpress.com/
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

Reaction score
When the algae tails off, so do the mussels... they all die in one go...

There are miniscule mussels about 1/2" in size which are a treat and rather more proportional for an ornamental pond

It's a bit of a novelty to take two big oyster shells, hinge them together (no oyster required) and rig an airstone to twizzle bubbles into the lid, which opens periodically...

Regards, andy
http://swglist.wordpress.com/
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

I would imagine such a large die off would have a huge impact on the pond (depending on the number of them of course)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Definitely some good things to think about... Thanks for all the input.

I do in fact have a sand bottom in the larger section of my pond. And I seem to have string algae all year long, so there's a good chance they would have a continual food supply. I think I'll go ahead and get a small batch of them and see how it goes.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Definitely share your experience and some pictures!

Sounds to me as a quite interesting and fun and educational moment here.

Reaction score
+1 i am interested in your experiences and outcomes too
im also interested in cobbling those oyster shells together to form a bubbler :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Couple of small holes drilled, couple of bits of wire to hinge them, wollah, your own opening and closing clam bubbler

Reaction score
Definitely some good things to think about... Thanks for all the input.

I do in fact have a sand bottom in the larger section of my pond. And I seem to have string algae all year long, so there's a good chance they would have a continual food supply. I think I'll go ahead and get a small batch of them and see how it goes.

Please keep us updated! I love when people think outside the box and challenge norms. Just look at the things people are keeping in aquariums.....15 years ago 50% of it did not exist.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I think if I'm going to provide any real results, I need to break out the test kits and take a couple water samples this week before the clams arrive, then take samples in the following weeks to see if anything 'bad' happens. Unfortunately the algae level will be subjective, and we are approaching the time when the other plants start to thrive and greatly reduce the amount of algae in my pond, so it will be hard to quantify their usefulness.

Regardless, I do love having 'different' things in my pond, and who knows, there may be a surprise in store with keeping them?

Reaction score
I think if I'm going to provide any real results, I need to break out the test kits and take a couple water samples this week before the clams arrive, then take samples in the following weeks to see if anything 'bad' happens. Unfortunately the algae level will be subjective, and we are approaching the time when the other plants start to thrive and greatly reduce the amount of algae in my pond, so it will be hard to quantify their usefulness.

Regardless, I do love having 'different' things in my pond, and who knows, there may be a surprise in store with keeping them?

Freshwater pearls?

Ask a Question