Friend of Foe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I was setting up a few things for pond preparation this week. I have several trail cams setup to keep an eye on things. Outside of a raccoon coming back and few mallards stopping by, I caught this image of what appears to be an owl. First question, is it? second, is should I be concerned?

Rob

IMG_0212.JPG

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My neighbor has video of an owl looking in his pond and later a blur flying by snaging a fish. Thinking its same owl

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Here in Tennessee.....we have the Barred Owl, which in addition to rodents one of its favorite food is frogs.....and from what I read it has no aversion to Toads it simply skins them before it eats them.....smart bird

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
No that's interesting.... Last year I found a large toad carcass. Like he was eaten from the inside out. I thought it was a raccoon but thought it strange since I'm assuming a raccoon wouldn't be as neat about it.

Also, I know I do have mice around the pond area since I have many large boulders for them to hide it. it would be good if the owl keeps that in check.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It looks like an owl. Cool! In general, I don’t thing owls are “fishers,” preferring to hunt ground-dwelling prey. Not saying that’s an absolute, but an in-general. Interesting! I want to set up a cam— just haven’t gotten around to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I'd suggest getting a trail cam. I'm amazed on what stops by the pond especially at night.. I save all photos, but i think it can help to determine you might have a predator. or areas around the pond they might enter. I was amazed last year to see how far a raccoon will go into the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have three of the Browning Strike Force Trail Camera's. There are so many different types out there. I'm no expert on them, but this one wasn't the cheapest and not the most expensive and had good reviews.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Well... I thought I'd follow up. not sure if this is the right pace to post it. But I had another Raccoon who was really brave and going in the river deep to try and get fish. Here's a photo of him last week really deep in the water. My fish like to go to this part of the stream where the water moves fast from the waterfall. Good news. I trapped this one and another very large raccoon last night. So, they are now relocated..... The Trail CAM really helped in placing my traps and trying to located where they came from in the yard. During the summer months, I have motion sensor sprinklers focused on this area and another that helps chase them.... rob
IMG_0003 1.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Here's a photo from last night of a raccoon I caught. This is the other end of the pond where it turns into a stream. You can see the fish and the raccoon right behind the light passing fish by and heading for the cat food treat I had waiting to catch him.
IMG_0001 (11)X.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's good that you relocated the raccoon's and thanks for sharing the neat pix!

Ask a Question