Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hello. :regular_waving_emot

My fish are, and have always been, afraid of me and every other human being. They wait at least 15 minutes after I feed them to come to the surface and eat the food, and even then they are extremely cautious:yikesu:. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on how to get them to be less fearful and more active in feeding. :confused:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Trying sitting by the pond, not stand. Less threatening of a view to them. While sitting throw in a few pellets. Keep doing that until they get used to you sitting there.

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Ok. I'll try that. I'm also thinking about getting some lionhead goldfish for my pond too. I've heard that they have trouble competing for food with other fish, and since my fish don't compete with food in the first place, they will hopefully eat some of the food right away. Plus, I love watching those fancy goldfish waddle their way through the water :regular_waving_emot

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You might have to bring them in during the winter, I have read they do not do well with the cold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
H izmanart007, You probably need to remove the fancies when the water gets down to about 50 degrees. It sounds like your fish might be spooked by something else and are generally just skittish. Are there enough things to hide them during the day like plants? or are there any animals or birds raiding the pond when you are not around?

jagan314

"CARP DIEM"
Reaction score
Lionheads are great to watch.. I had one big one in a koi pond (6" long).. sadly a grey heron got to him!:-( They aren't fast swimmers, but they will fight there way to the top for food.. they love to eat! They remind me of Tweety Bird for some reason.. I think its the round face, wide set eyes and little round mouth with puffy looking cheeks.. LOVE that breed of gold fish... My kids have them in their pond.

If your water quality is good, and your fish are healthy... a great way to get them to loosen up is to get a CHAGOI koi in there. Chagoi's are a much more relaxed and calm fish. A single Chagoi in the pond will get your higher strung fish to calm down and trust your feeding... (this works!)

The only other times my fish were skittish were just after they were visited by that grey heron or some kind of predator.

Every since I put a swan decoy out by the ponds edge.. the heron never returned.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Swan decoy? is it because herons and swans don't get along?

jagan314

"CARP DIEM"
Reaction score
Addy1, I don't really know.. but I do know that Swans are territorial... So that may have something to do with it.. and the fact that the pond (my kids pond) is small... So there's no getting around that swan... lolz. Before we put that swan out there I had to build a cover for my kids pond.. (netting) .... that heron came back 3 days in a row. I was afraid he was gonna come back with "friends."

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's very interesting about the swan. I wonder if the herons are afraid of them. I'd put a swan in my pond if I knew it would work. Wonder if it would attract swans tho :confused:

Ask a Question