Frightened or hibernation?

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
About a month ago my camera started picking up a cat visitor each night. Since then i havent seen any fish. I think they are hiding like they did for days when a duck landed in the pond.
Last winter the fish swam all around under the ice. I loved watching them. But since the cat thing, I hav only seen one tiny baby fish.
You think they are laying under the plants on the bottom because of cold or hiding or something else?
I miss them.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
15138652000791733156788.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have had a cat stalking my pond and they are hiding out but ,I can still see them .I put a piece of cardboard with those cheap dollar store poster tacks sticking threw it for now .But I plan on getting some carpet tack strips ,someone told me on here to try them out .I have seen the cat step on them a couple of times and fly up in the air .He now tries to pull them off with his paw .I am hoping he will give up

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thats a good idea. I did put two mousetrap on the wall where he walks hoping to "discourage" his presence

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Others say those glue strips for mice but the cat just sniffed them and went over them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Since the weather got cold, I have only seen one baby koi in the pond on one occasion. (There were at least 6-7 surviving fry in the pond at last count in early October.) They are hiding under the flagstone plank in the center of the pond with the adult koi. As with the last batch of koi fry we had 2 seasons ago, I don't expect to see them until spring--they are experts at hiding during the cold months.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Others say those glue strips for mice but the cat just sniffed them and went over them
Darn it! It works on my cats. Or it does when I remember to put it out at night, and pick it up when I’m working in that area. I’ve caught myself many times, and whatever I’m using/ need to use/ don’t want on the trap....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a lot of fish in my ponds, right now I can go down there and see none, pretty clear water. Last spring I actually thought they all had disappeared, it took a long time for them to start showing their fins. They sure can hide.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wonder if some glue traps have a scent to them that the cats can smell .I could not find anything on the box of mine ,but there is a funny smell from them .Not sure if it is just the gooey stuff smell .I know i have caught myself several times with one of those darn things ,even caught my chihuahua a couple of times .But these cats are smart here and avoid them .I have even seen them hit them to turn them upside down .I have nothing in my pond but the smaller ones still find a place to hide .Also I bought a small bag of cat food and put it out near the woods far from my pond .Thing is the birds like the dry food also and so do the squirrels

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
They sell carpet like strips of cat deterrent. My brother used it in his rental house in Tokyo. He says people use them to prevent strays from getting into their alley ways and leaving poopy messes. They are plastic so it won't bother a person, but works great for lighter critters.

Ask a Question