Frisky behavior leads to one more.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Im a daddy! Not a koi though. Last week one of my comets and a shubunkin were going crazy, I hung a mop head in there later that day but the behaviors had stopped by then. I never noticed any action or eggs on or around the mop. I did notice the comet hanging out in some odd spots by herself and figured it was just some stress from the spawn. I was out at the pond just now and noticed a little 1/2" white and orange fish darting in and out of the river stones(baseball to softball size) that sit on a top ledge in my pond. This is a first for me.:lol: I wish the rain would stop some so I can go look some more.:fish:
Just wanted to share, I am pretty stoked about this.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Thanks! I just went out to look some more. I have a shelf in the pond where my one pump sits that is covered with a piece of flagstone. In this little cave was where the comet was hanging out. I lifted it up and the bottom had probably 50 little white eggs stuck to it. I then pulled the mop head and noticed eggs on that as well. I transferd both to my lilly pad tub so I can monitor.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
UPDATE!

Well I got a chance to clear out the rock from the top edge and see if I could catch the new fish. I was afraid of it getting sucked into the pump intakes as he got more adventurous. To my suprise I have three new ones. They are about 1 1/2" in length. One is dark color with an orange head one light color with an orange head and light color one with a yellow head. Here is the bonus I think. They have what looks like barbs at the edges of their mouths.:) I don't have a pic yet but will try to get one. I transferd them into my lilly pad tub, 150 gallons, so they can get some size on them. I have some small koi that are about 6-8". Could these be from them maybe?

I do not thionk these are from the comet/shubunkin play as the size of them wouldn't be this big in only 2-3 weeks time. But i'm not positive on this just a thought

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. They are getting bigger and have been eating the sinking pellets I give them. They are over 2" now. I will give them a few more week to grow and put them back with the big guys.

Ask a Question