Frog catching tricks?

Reaction score
Ok, I keep failing at trying to catch adult frogs in the wetlands next to my house. I've tried big fishing nets and patiently waiting still as a rock on the shore etc.
Do they make a fake lily pad trap? I may design one.

Really frustrating since I hate paying for something I could get for free. lol

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
We catch them with long fishing poles .. take them off the hook and put them in your pond

Reaction score
What do you use for bait? The only issue with that is that I don't have a fishing license and I doubt the warden would believe me when I say I'm trying to catch frogs. lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Go out at night with a flashlight, they freeze for a while when you shine the light in their eyes. Grab with long poled net.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The frogs in my pond just showed up shortly after building my pond. Not sure where they came from b/c the closest lake is about 500 yards away and even farther for any size creek.

Reaction score
That's assuming they will jump over a 3-4" wall to find it and leave the more perfect wetlands.

Addy, now you're really trying to get me in trouble. lol But I might try that.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are surrounded by woods and fields, my frogs just showed up...........There is a river quite a way from the house.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Malak said:
thanks, too bad the method requires two people - the woman won't even go outside it the temp is not 70! lol

Maybe you could get some neighborhood kids to catch them for you.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing malak, I much prefer 50-70 degrees once over 80 too hot.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Malak, In your case, I think a better solution would be go after the tadpoles. Bullfrog tadpoles are pretty easy to spot, They are about 3-4" long compared to most other tadpoles they are about double or triple the size of most other frogs when they are tadpoles. The reason I'm saying this might be better is, If they raise up and form right there in your pond they are far more likely to stay around. Adult Bullfrogs can leap 3-4' a jump no problem, Wild frogs may or may not stay around, That's a lot of effort your making that may or may not get one to stick around. If they start there young and grow up at your pond you have a lot better chance of them sticking around. bullfrog tadpoles also have another intresting fact, They stay tadpoles for two seasons before turning into frogs. So you want one that will develpoe this year right? Look for tadpoles with back legs, No legs is a first year tadpole, the ones with small back legs is a two year old and will develope this year into a frog.
Catching adult bullfrogs is far easier with two people, One holds the light the other does the catching. shining the light from straight in front freezes them for a few seconds. Reach and grab fast and with a very firm grip, Or have a large net rerady to stick out in front of the frog as soon as the person shines the light, stick the net out in front of the frog and startle it from behind, a small stick lightly poked in the butt and it will jump straight forward, getting it in the net is the easy part, keeping it in the net and getting it in something you can get it home in is the hard part. Good luck, BTW, the ones I have that stick around and aren't as afraid of me are the ones that turned into frogs in my pond.

Attachments

• pond pics 5311 003.jpg
    pond pics 5311 003.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 503
  • pond pics 5311 005.jpg
    pond pics 5311 005.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 490
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Our two frogs just showed up...otherwise a flashlight at night to blind them and a fishin net and or catch em on a line with something shiney and small works everytime around here in nebraska

Ask a Question