Frog cuisinart

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I am finding frogs and toads in pieces in my filter mats...It seems that they jump in my spillways and get caught underneath from the strong flow of my waterfalls. Has anyone else had this problem? I can’t stand to see the carnage...I have taken out the bioballs and filter mats until I can fashion some type of screen to put over them. Its always something....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Too gruesome to post...the toads are hopping in my waterfall tubs and don’t seem to be able to get out (eventhough there is a wide lip) I think they instinctively dive down under my filter mats to hide and become trapped. if I ever knew this would happen I never would have had the spillways installed. I am Hoping that without the mats they will not get trapped.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm not sure how your system is set up, but I used to have a problem with toads & frogs getting into my skimmer baskets, then down into the skimmer box where the pump is & getting sucked into the pump (and then the resulting carnage was transported up to the biofall box via the plumbing) We have since switched to pumps with cages over the intake, but they would still get stuck against the pump cage & drown. My fix? I fashioned a screen to cover the skimmer basket so if they went into the basket, they couldn't get out into the box & down where the pump is. Here's a picture of my A.C.S. (amphibian containment system) keeping a hoard of toads safely inside the basket:
bucket of toads 01.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh goodness, I'm not suggesting you post pictures of the carnage.....just the set up so we can help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I'm not sure how your system is set up, but I used to have a problem with toads & frogs getting into my skimmer baskets, then down into the skimmer box where the pump is & getting sucked into the pump (and then the resulting carnage was transported up to the biofall box via the plumbing) We have since switched to pumps with cages over the intake, but they would still get stuck against the pump cage & drown. My fix? I fashioned a screen to cover the skimmer basket so if they went into the basket, they couldn't get out into the box & down where the pump is. Here's a picture of my A.C.S. (amphibian containment system) keeping a hoard of toads safely inside the basket:
View attachment 127288
View attachment 127288
Thank you bkh for the tip...that is exactly what I needed to see...I have stretched netting over the top and it seems to be working! Your skimmer basket pic really helped.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you bkh for the tip...that is exactly what I needed to see...I have stretched netting over the top and it seems to be working! Your skimmer basket pic really helped.
Oh good! I'm glad you've gotten it fixed. Those random toad parts floating around are way beyond depressing! (and I'm fairly certain the poor toads agree) A. C. S. to the rescue! :D

Ask a Question