Frog in Koi pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
Such excitement in my pond because my 1&1/2 year old Koi unexpectedly spawned this summer - I thought they weren’t mature enough but apparently I know nothing about Koi! I have at least a dozen baby fish. Now, suddenly, I have a little green frog in my pond. I expect that the fish will continue to spawn for the rest of the summer, which would mean lots more baby koi to sell in the fall (I cannot keep them because I don’t have room in my indoor pond). Should I take the frog out and move it to a body of water? I am concerned that it will eat the eggs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If you are anywhere close to a body of water, forget about keeping frogs out of your pond. I setup two covered 35 gallon quarantine tanks for two weeks and they collected a total of three frogs. I had frogs in my main pond before I had fish or anything else.

They will eat the eggs (maybe) and the fry, but you'll probably still have more than you want.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
Now I have just trapped a raccoon. I was trying to trap cats and had no idea we had raccoons in our area. I know a person whose entire koi pond was decimated by raccoons a few years ago - a family of them ate her 15 very very large koi.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a lot of raccoons, they come out of the woods. I have never seen any damage from them, ie plants messed with etc. I may have loss fish to them, don't think so the ponds are deep, the raccoons would need to swim under water to grab the fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have something ripping appart the edging of my pond. It's WAR I've lost 30 feet of moss I've been nurturing for a few years now

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have something ripping appart the edging of my pond. It's WAR I've lost 30 feet of moss I've been nurturing for a few years now
deer, groundhogs, bears....................who knows lol, need a trail cam or cam set up to watch and record. We have tracked the snakes from the house, two small tv's have constant cam feeds from the yards.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Nothing seems to be able to eat any of my fish...The snake wound up leaving and after counting my fish I see that he did not eat any....The Giant Egret still comes and stays twice a day but has never been able to catch a fish either...I was hoping for some population control but no such luck! My shubies are very timid and as soon as they see anything that does not look like me they skidaddle!

Ask a Question