Frog Issue

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I was wondering in someone can help me regarding a green frog. It's my fourth winter with the pond here in Northern Illinois. Each year I use my net to clear out leafs, but read I should be cautious in and around crevices as not to disturb frog's hibernating. unfortunately, the weather warmed up bit bit here and the ice on the pond melted, so I thought I'd clear a few leafs out. I found a frog in my net when I went to dump it.

NOW what do I do. He's still alive so I just placed in the a shallow part of the river. Does anyone know how and can help him survive? It's just killing me this happened. should I leave him under water, place him is a place at the water's edge and bury in leave mulch, underwater or not???? I don't know where to place him to give best chance of survival, or is it basically terminal at this point?

Rob

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
NOW what do I do. He's still alive so I just placed in the a shallow part of the river. Does anyone know how and can help him survive?

I used to be nervous about disturbing frogs too. To an extent, I still am, and avoid it at all costs. I'd expect your frog to be fine, as long as it isn't frequently disturbed and stressed. Best thing would be to put it back where you netted it from, in a deep enough area that it'll be under the ice, but if you already put it in the water, it should be able to figure out where it needs to go.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Since the water had warmed up some, it’s possible that he would have been a little less torpid anyway, so it probably didn’t do him any harm. I would put him back where you found him. My box turtles (though, non-aquatic reptiles) will “dig-in” for the winter, but since we have mild winters here, there will be days now and then when I’ll find a turtle out in the open as we have a few warmer days.

Ask a Question