Frog ramp into raised pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've been looking around the forum and it's very informative - I hope you can help me!

I would like to use a half barrel as a raised pond on my patio. However, I want frogs to be able to access it and obviously it's too high for them to get in without a ramp.

Before I invest in all the stuff I need, I was wondering if anyone with a raised pond could confirm that frogs can actually get in and out? Will they be able to find the ramp? How steep can the ramp be? Any tips greatly appreciated :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My pond is raised about two feet and frogs hop in and out using the sides, plants, and surrounding bench. They have very sticky feet. I even find them on the inside wall of my rain barrel.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1662562768846.gif
@Frogfan
Yep frogs can climb so no need to add a ramp.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
A bigger factor i think is not just the raised pond but it's the way the pond is accessed. Does it fall straight down from all sides or do you have a ledge or some sort of a slope into the pond. Frogs want to be able to get in and out of the water without a struggle.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Most Frogs can jump that high off the ground, (the height of a half whiskey/wine barrel) without an issue.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 raised ponds. Frogs never seem to have a problem getting in but they need either a ramp or a platform to get out with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Tree frogs and green frogs breed every year in my water lily pool. It's 30" tall and straight up with no shelves inside. It's an Intex swimming pool.

They obviously have no problem getting in or out. Neither do the new little frogs when it's time for them to leave.

If they want in, they will easily get in.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, thanks for the replies!

I'm based in the UK, so unfortunately no sticky footed tree frogs here.

Thanks for the reminder about a ramp for them to get out (y)

This is what my barrel pond will look like, minus the fish:
2c44n4csegb01.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Tree frogs and green frogs breed every year in my water lily pool. It's 30" tall and straight up with no shelves inside. It's an Intex swimming pool.

They obviously have no problem getting in or out. Neither do the new little frogs when it's time for them to leave.

If they want in, they will easily get in.

My pond must be hated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,

I've been looking around the forum and it's very informative - I hope you can help me!

I would like to use a half barrel as a raised pond on my patio. However, I want frogs to be able to access it and obviously it's too high for them to get in without a ramp.

Before I invest in all the stuff I need, I was wondering if anyone with a raised pond could confirm that frogs can actually get in and out? Will they be able to find the ramp? How steep can the ramp be? Any tips greatly appreciated :)
That's what I have,a whiskey barrel. I placed stacks concrete pavers on one side as stepping stones. They love it. Large rocks would work too
Hi All,

Attachments

• IMG_20220912_162930485.jpg
    IMG_20220912_162930485.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 219
Reaction score
Country
United States
As you can see,there are stacked pavers on the right. A frog is sitting there. There are 3 in this water pond. 3 other small container gardens around the yard

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a hot tub pond, 4 feet off ground, about, frogs have found their way into it. No ramps, no close hills, but some plants weeds etc around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have seen a green frog jump from the surface of the water in my pond onto the edge, 2 feet above the water. They really don't need any help getting in or out. They are perfectly capable of doing that on their own.

There is no harm in giving them a hand, but it's not necessary.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
i think that the ADA Ramp accessibility feature is admirable though. A small ramp will make the elevated pond accessible to all manners of creatures. A turtle found its way into my pond, they can’t jump.

Ask a Question