Frog spawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello my pond is about 5 years old, it's about 8'x5' and 4' at the deepest going shallower to a waterfall. I have no fish and in past years there have been lots of frog spawn, however this year the spawn does not look healthy I have fished some out and the eggs seem to be dead with white spots, and the tadpoles look dead . The question is would you clear it out or wait and see what happens? Thank you

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1585934825561.gif
@Rosemarie
Since you have no fish I would wait a bit longer and see how it goes unless you are sure they are dead. Wonder why they would die like that?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Things like chlorine, excess ammonia, bacteria, fungus infections can all affect frogs. The other issue may just be bad genetics going in, temps out of range, or any other number of factors. I’d give them a bit more time, and if you see them going completely milky white, remove them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Nature has a way of regulating itself. One time I woke up to find my pond loaded with all sorts of frog and toad spawn. I thought there was no way my pond could support thousands of these tadpoles. Sure enough I’d say half of them died off. The other half hatched and took over the pond...I couldn’t have imagined if all of them made it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have thousands of eggs, xxx amount hatched out, tons! tadpoles blacken the bottom of the pond, over time the numbers drop. I never end up with a ton of frogs. The toads once hatched hop out as tiny tiny toads and poof gone! I see adults here and there, but not thousands

Ask a Question