Frogbit (Limnobium Spongia) Planting Question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
The website I purchased my American Frogbit (Limnobium Spongia) from says one can choose either free floating or planting in small containers with the roots in soil and placed with 2 inches of water over pots. My pond shelves are 10" deep and sometimes on Mondays after I am gone a whole weekend, the water level can have dropped by 3 inches. I had one planted and under 2" of water as instructed, but it died when the water level dropped below the top of the pot. Can I plant them deeper than 2 inches below the water? Like more like 5-6" below the water, so when the water level drops, they are still under water? Or will they not grow if that deep? I have the rest all floating now, but I read that if they are planted underwater they will grow more upright with the leaves sticking up out of the water and look different, and since I have 6 of them, it would be nice to have at least one look a little different.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I started to tell you about my frog bit. Then did a little research and remembered it isn't frog bit. It is floating yellow heart. Sorry! I deleted my last post since it was incorrect.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I started to tell you about my frog bit. Then did a little research and remembered it isn't frog bit. It is floating yellow heart. Sorry! I deleted my last post since it was incorrect.

I'd love yellow floating heart (Nymphoides peltata), but it's illegal here. It was my first choice until I looked up the legality of it.

Ask a Question