Frogs and my leaf net

Reaction score
Need advice. Put on my leaf net over the entire pond. I have several frogs trapped inside and several on the outside. each is trying to get to the other side. Is it better for the frogs (for the winter ) to be in the water or kept out of the pond. Once all the leaves are completely off the trees and are gone from the yard I plan to remove the net but worry that it may be to late for the frogs. I'm hesitant to leave an opening for them to get in and out since I really want to keep every single leaf out. last year did not use a net and it took forever to clean it in the spring.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Frogs hibernate either in the water, muck on the bottom or on land. If they are trying to get in they may need to be in. I don't net mine, well have some fencing over it to keep the heron out, but it has gaps..............

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What about leaving the net off the ground about 6-8" to allow them to get in and out but this would still catch most of the leaves. There is the chance they will blow in but not sure there is another option.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I have mine right on the ground on three sides but left it open on the south end where the wind doesnt blow from. Works pretty well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I don't like not having many large trees on my property (6 acres), but right now I'm thankful, and what ARE large, are maples (small leaves) and elm (smaller leaves). :) The closest large tree is a maple, and if it fell over, it would probably have the top in my pond, so I'm saying this just to give you an idea how close. I see leaves in the pond each evening, and in the skimmer, but so far not many are on the bottom. I suspect when the trees are done shedding their leaves, I'll use my net and scoop out as many as I can. I've planted trees closer to the pond, but all are more ornamental types, grow slowly and small leaves, so shouldn't be much of a problem with leaves even when the get larger. Red Buds, Dogwood, Japanese Maple. There is also an oak tree that is about 10' tall, but they grow really slow, too. It's at it's point in life where one of these years it's going to really shoot up, though! That is about the same distance as the large maple, but different end of the pond. I cut down a HUGE partly rotten maple that would have been about 6' from the back side of the pond. That's what caused me root problems during my dig, but nothing an ax could not handle!
The trees in IL are lovely this week, and getting prettier as the days of fall continue. We are having 80's for highs and 50's for lows, can't get any more perfect for weather in my opinion. Sunny days, too, and expected through next weekend now they are saying. Love it!!! Going to do some kayaking and horseback riding this weekend. :) Enjoy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Ponds tend to be warmer some time into Winter, frogs will be attracted to that, in search of somewhere to escape cold air frogs will move around

Running a mower round a pond when leaves fall, chopping them into fine bits will reduce the number of leaves that can blow into a pond and the time in which a net is needed.

Some leaves in a pond are not a bad thing, they provide good cover for critters when Mr Heron comes calling, you can take your time netting them out in Spring

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I mow our leaves, it does chop them up nicely. I am hoping mr heron moves south for our winter.

Reaction score
Depends on the kind of frog. The frogs on the outside might be able to find another location.

I always thought Leopard and Bullfrogs dug into the mud, but I guess that's not true. They just sit on the bottom. So I guess the frogs (assuming the kind) inside the pond would be OK.

Winter is hard on them. Growing up in upstate NY my pond had lots of dead Leopard frogs appear in the spring. Tough climate.

Ask a Question