Frogs Annoying Neighbors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If i switch the pond over to a waterless waterfall and turn it off before dark will this solve my frog problem?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
No, not really anywhere where it is damp or wet you will find frogs, maybe less of them without a pond but they would still be around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We live in a 55 and older community so the homes are 10ft apart. After a good rain they come about 12 of them which are very loud.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
sounds like your neighbors need to pull the stick out of there backside and relax abit. Personally, I enjoy the sounds of nature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm in an old neighborhood in GA and the night sounds are deafening. (I love it.) But it has nothing to do with a pond. Nature is everywhere and loves to sing in the night. Tree frogs and bugs of all kinds are so loud, we can hear it through the walls and closed windows with the AC running. I think that is just nighttime in the humid, lush south.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We live in a 55 and older community so the homes are 10ft apart. After a good rain they come about 12 of them which are very loud.
tell you what, I'll trade you; where I live, they put up a race track, about 1/2 mi away, and where I used to have to compete with errant screech sounds of cars/trucks on nearby major roads, now I have almost constant race car sounds to 'spoil' the solitude. So, a bunch of frogs chirping excitedly would be a Godsend. When your neighbors give you the 'eye' or make some snarky remark, tell them it could be worse re a race track. AND, I don't live in some impoverished neighborhood, either (though, that's where the race track is!).

Here's MY solution to MY problem; you can relay this to your neighbors (that ask) if you want to; I set up a stereo and some outdoor speakers; and best of all, I can STILL hear my waterfall! I bet I could still hear the frogs, too, were they still in chirp mode!

And of course, you can politely tell them they make less noise doing what they do than some humans you know. Give them a 'wink' after you say that!

Lastly, the frog mating season won't last that long, unless you have a lot of different species. Most only go on about it for a couple of weeks then back to basics like bug catching.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well i guess i have different species because this started in the spring and is still ongoing. I see a grayish green and a very nice dark green.Last night two of the dark green ones were matting. We stay up late around midnight and that is when most of them stop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Most of them are these.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 5.22.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 5.22.56 PM.png
    244.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 5.22.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 5.22.37 PM.png
    238.3 KB · Views: 50
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Find a big old bull frog he'll take care of them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Lastly, the frog mating season won't last that long, unless you have a lot of different species. Most only go on about it for a couple of weeks then back to basics like bug catching.
I'm not sure about the frogs in your area, but here the green & bull frogs keep on making racket & dumping their eggs ALL. SUMMER. LONG. The Cope's Gray tree frogs also do their thing (along with the noise & egg dumping) most of the Summer. Other species (toads, wood frogs) are indeed limited to a few weeks of obnoxious spawning racket.

But, honestly, this time of year (mid July through August) the Katydids are the noisiest of the nocturnal critters & that has nothing to do with the pond. And, don't even get me started about the Whippoorwills...

Ask a Question