Frogs Bad For the Pond!?

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I joined a Pond Building FB group and I keep seeing reference to people trying to keep frogs out of their ponds. Apparently, during mating season, the male frogs grab onto whatever they can killing or causing damage to the fish.

I have never heard of such a thing and have been looking forward to the 100s of frogs that die in my pool each year finding my pond first. I have a hunch the people posting are in the UK, however, I cant imagine they have species of frogs much different than here.

Is this really an issue? I thought people were joking at first but then someone complained of losing a fish!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have tons of frogs, toads etc have never seen one latch onto a fish. It could happen I guess, but also have never found a dead fish during mating time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have heard of such a thing happening, but (like addy1) I have never personally experienced any problems with the many frogs & toads that I have spawning in my pond each year. And we have 5 different varieties of frogs plus American toads who, at least temporarily for spawning purposes, call our pond home.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I catch them and farmers love them because they help farm ponds with mosquito control . My koi suck the insides out of frogs and then i get the joy of having to net up the remains because they will foul up the water . Everyday I do this in frog season . NOT FUN

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I have read this in several books, but like all of the others here have never personally experienced it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I love any froggies that come to my ponds they are most welcome
1644606667274.gif

Looks like @Dimelius have been giving my frogs some of those mojito's
1644606791850.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thought I might be able to pick up some good tips but all anyone builds are those outdoor aquariums for Koi. Partially, i guess to keep the frogs out..:LOL:
since my pond is enclosed, I had to actually go out and CATCH some frogs just so I HAVE some! AT one time, had 8 green frogs but haven't actually counted that many for two years now. Definitely had 5 last summer, two that were from tads that made it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
FACEBOOK and twitter are EXACTLY WHY THE WORLD HAS GONE TO SHT.
FB groups are full of large big month that have to be closed, but with internet they can say everything.... -.-

Never heard of that thing, but i'm new of this world
You have a bunch of at home twits sitting behind the computer yelling from the roof tops to there flower power ideas. How the eutopia should be according to them. SHUT DOWN THE PIPE LINES IN THE USA where we have some of the most stringent environmental rules in the WORLD and say it's better to get the oil from russia or good knows where and no rules... i HEAD BACK IN THE 80'S THE NEXT WAR WOULD PROBABLY BE OVER WATER. I said huh even desert nations have desalinators. an easy process. 75% of all the fresh water in china is contaminated. Guess why huge business no rules. iF A WORKER FALLS TO THEIR DEATH oh well next ..

People should be made to take a quizz before they are allowed to speak.

And to most of the slimy frogiies FISHIES AND THE MUCH IN A NATURAL POND WOULD BE ERADICATED. How many times has someone said you go swimming with fish /????? talk about nieve.
Toads do get loud there numbers can multiply very quickly. I'm of the same boat as @addy1 WHAT EVER COMES IN IS WELCOME WITH THE EXCEPTION OF HERON. FROGS SNAKES TURTLES DRAGONFLIES moths all the different frogs and even the hawks that feed on the frogs you name it are welcome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We always have frogs. They seem to naturally find our pond. We love the singing at night.
Never had problems from frogs or toads.
We welcome them.
what kind of frogs do you get up there in the mountains, PJ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
what kind of frogs do you get up there in the mountains, PJ?
I have no idea what frogs frequent our pond. They appear every year. They are small, maybe 3"- 4" the most.
They hang out on the rocks and land around the pond. If you approach them, they usually jump into the water.

We get toads living in our gardens too. I guess they are toads since they bed down in the gardens. They are larger than the frogs by the pond. I have to be careful when mowing and weed wacking.

We do have tons of tiny green tree frogs everywhere in the Poconos that get very vocal all throughout the summer. Some people think the sound is crickets, but it's tree frogs. They sound different than crickets.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have no idea what frogs frequent our pond. They appear every year. They are small, maybe 3"- 4" the most.
They hang out on the rocks and land around the pond. If you approach them, they usually jump into the water.

We get toads living in our gardens too. I guess they are toads since they bed down in the gardens. They are larger than the frogs by the pond. I have to be careful when mowing and weed wacking.

We do have tons of tiny green tree frogs everywhere in the Poconos that get very vocal all throughout the summer. Some people think the sound is crickets, but it's tree frogs. They sound different than crickets.
More then likely they are the generic leopard frogs

Ask a Question