Frogs, bullfrog vs tree frog

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Since early spring I have caught about dozen tree frogs and put them in my pond. Within a few days, I wouldn't see or hear them anymore. At this point I believe I figured this one out. Tree frogs, in their search for food they don't have a need to stay near any water. That's why I found them away from water in the first place.

At a friends property last week I caught four bullfrogs. The biggest is 4" long and they get progressively smaller. I have noticed that they stay quite close to the pond even though I don't always see all four four of them in the pond at the same time. The largest one has a hidding place that it goes to get out of the sun in a cement pipe about six feet from the pond. The others seem to stay much closer to the pond.

Bullfrogs have a dependancy on water most of the time.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I'm sure that won't a problem in my pond. All of my Shubunkins are a little larger than the largest bullfrog.

I brought another one home this week. The three largest bullfrogs are really making themselves at home. The two smallest have either been eaten by the larger bullfrogs or they moved on because they couldn't compete for food.

One thing I have noticed with the presents of these bullfrogs, I no longer have any small garden slugs eating the scotch moss around my pond at night. Also, I never seen any kind of frog that was so tolerant of human presents. They are not skidish at all. They were that way when I caught them with my hands.

Ask a Question