Frogs & Fountains

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
We have approximately 600 gallon pond with a water fall and stream going down a hill into the pond. We wanted to put a small water feature in the pond, something that sprays up out of the water. We have a large number of frogs in the spring and the pond is close to our house. The croaking can be heard in the house. We were told a water fountain would deter them. Any advice on this?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My frogs all tend to lay in the slower moving ponds. But they also hang out in the ponds with water falls and a lot of activity, they just don't lay their eggs there. I love to listen to them, so making noise in our deck pond has never bothered me.
No clue if a fountain would keep them out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My stream moves a lot of water and I have frogs all over during the breeding season. Like Addy said mine lay the eggs in the calmer areas where the plants are. I also like the sound of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have a fountain and I had 4 frogs last year. 300+ gallons. They didn’t seem to mind the fountain at all

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
i try to get frogs for my pond 3-4 years i buy 3 tadpoles each year and i never see them again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
i try to get frogs for my pond 3-4 years i buy 3 tadpoles each year and i never see them again.
I couldn't put tadpoles in my pond, my goldfish are part barracuda. The tadpoles wouldn't last a minute. My only hope is that somehow an adult frog finds its way to the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I couldn't put tadpoles in my pond, my goldfish are part barracuda. The tadpoles wouldn't last a minute. My only hope is that somehow an adult frog finds its way to the pond.
oh mine last to frog stage but winter time the frogs leave and dont come back

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
oh mine last to frog stage but winter time the frogs leave and dont come back
I am thinking of putting in a small bog later this year. That is probably going to be their best chance at survival.
I wonder if the frog hibernate during winter? We have tree frogs that show up in the yard during the summer. The garden and flowers get watered every day and they like the moisture. Unfortunately even my fat cat can catch them. He usually doesn't kill them he just brings them alive in the house as a present for my wife. She just loves that! :hungover:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Fountain to deter frogs??? HAHA I have never hear that. My pond has 3 features moving water. This includes a large waterfall, a statuary spitter, and a small fountain. When used in conjunction they provide water movement throughout my pond. Yet, I get well over 1,000 tadpoles each year. The majority are toads but the tree fogs love it as well. And the pond is next to our bedroom window so we hear their mating calls at all hours of the night.

I would love to deter them as well once they drop a few tadpoles into the water but I have not found any method of doing so, short of getting a cat to hunt them down.

With that being said the best year I ever had was when a pair of leopard frogs made my pond their home. Their aggressive behavior pushed out the toads and tree frogs out of the area so we only had to deal with their mating calls which are much quieter and soothing than green tree frog screams and toads croaking.

In summary fountains will not work based on my experience, and the only suggestion I have is to research aggressive native frog species and try to introduce them to your pond to chase out the current population. Just ensure whatever species you introduce is not worse than the last as far as sound and diet, if it happens to include fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Fountain to deter frogs??? HAHA I have never hear that. My pond has 3 features moving water. This includes a large waterfall, a statuary spitter, and a small fountain. When used in conjunction they provide water movement throughout my pond. Yet, I get well over 1,000 tadpoles each year. The majority are toads but the tree fogs love it as well. And the pond is next to our bedroom window so we hear their mating calls at all hours of the night.

I would love to deter them as well once they drop a few tadpoles into the water but I have not found any method of doing so, short of getting a cat to hunt them down.

With that being said the best year I ever had was when a pair of leopard frogs made my pond their home. Their aggressive behavior pushed out the toads and tree frogs out of the area so we only had to deal with their mating calls which are much quieter and soothing than green tree frog screams and toads croaking.

In summary fountains will not work based on my experience, and the only suggestion I have is to research aggressive native frog species and try to introduce them to your pond to chase out the current population. Just ensure whatever species you introduce is not worse than the last as far as sound and diet, if it happens to include fish.
I don't mind them so much, but they drive my husband crazy! Have to admit they are extremely loud and annoying. I grew up in Louisiana and am used to the locust and crickets being loud; luckily it doesn't last all summer. But, they do love our pond and come hopping up our driveway, when the others call them, lol.

Ask a Question