Frogs in December!?

Reaction score
Country
United States
There's a couple green frogs that seem to not care whatsoever, as they are on the banks hiding in the leaves and jump in as I approach, despite being mid December. From reading online, just assumed they'd burrow into the mud or stay at the bottom all winter. Even the overflow trench in the backyard seems to have a frog in it. Judging by sizes, looks like ones from the first eggs last spring. August had one batch of tadpoles that are overwintering (noticed they grow rapidly in spring and were everywhere in the pond; August tadpoles however were incredibly shy and remained hidden to the point I thought they were all eaten, then out of the blue a giant-headed green frog tadpole in the fall could be spotted rarely).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yeah, same here. We've been having some pretty mild weather so far this winter & just a few minutes ago we saw a nice little bullfrog peeking out from a cave in the rocks. :love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Yesterday, I am pretty sure I heard a frog repeatedly calling. There is a small creek that runs through the back of some neighbors' properties and it sounded like it was coming from back there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ifn ya live around any older folks, could just be joints, ya know?? :oops:

smilie-sword-twirl-Christmas2.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
It's around 65 degrees here in Western NY today. Will change quickly - snow forecasted for Saturday. Haven't seen any frogs but there's a bunch of tadpoles in the bottom of my pond. ribbit :meh:

Ask a Question