Frogs in the pond

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Bullfrogs in my pond are the food supply for the redtail hawk that visits. Fortunately, my pond is large enough the bullfrogs don’t take it over and eat the other frogs to the point they disappear. Hard to tell how big they are as they spend most their time hiding under the bridge like trolls.

At the moment, have green frogs, bullfrogs, gray tree frogs, pickerel frogs and tons of baby toads in the main pond. Now the smaller pond by the front of the house, has been taken over by a large male bullfrog. Only have native fish in there, so if he can catch them more power to him.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Can't you just eat it? They got big legs on them bullfrogs......mmmmm mmmm
I could never eat something I saw alive
smnono.gif
poor froggy!:D

Attachments

• smfrog.gif
    smfrog.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 232
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
for a bit we would get 3-6 tadpoles ( sale 3 for x ) none would stay unless we think trapped by the leaf netting but would leave shortly after spring I gave up spending money on wildlife that leaves. So I can't help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Bullfrogs in my pond are the food supply for the redtail hawk that visits. Fortunately, my pond is large enough the bullfrogs don’t take it over and eat the other frogs to the point they disappear. Hard to tell how big they are as they spend most their time hiding under the bridge like trolls.

At the moment, have green frogs, bullfrogs, gray tree frogs, pickerel frogs and tons of baby toads in the main pond. Now the smaller pond by the front of the house, has been taken over by a large male bullfrog. Only have native fish in there, so if he can catch them more power to him.
The blue herons with the help of other predators seem to keep my frog population under control. We still seem to keep a few every year. Bullfrogs and green frogs the tree frog seem to move on

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It can be challenging keeping tree frogs around. All of my ponds are dedicated tree frog ponds. The one they like the most is an old spa. The water level is about a foot from the top. It was covered with azolla but now water hyacinth has taken over. Half the pond is covered with boards. The frogs like to hide under the boards. Some of these frogs have been there for at least a year. They like to hang out near the water or on the water but rarely in the water. They also like peace and quiet and still water. None of my ponds have filtration or moving water or fish.

There are also a couple of frogs that have been hanging out in an 18 gallon tub nestled in between a bunch of potted plants on a covered porch. This container pond has a pair of rubber hoops near the outer edge. They were put there to keep lizards from drowning. They are made from 1/2 inch irrigation swing pipe. This is a textured rubber hose. The frogs like to sit on it.

Reaction score
Just a warning - if you get one bullfrog to stick around, you won't have many other frogs for long. We have one every spring who clears us out of the smaller varieties. Once he moves on, the others start to show up again. We like to think they just give him his space, but he sure seems to have a fat belly on the regular!
I have three very large resident bullfrogs in my pond. They feast on the hundreds of toads that come around the pond to breed at night. We also see quite a few leopard frogs as well. Since my large garden is right next to my pond, it makes a great great habitat for them as I always see them searching for bugs and stuff when I'm tending to my vegetable beds. All in all I love these amphibian friends that choose to live in my backyard "theme park".

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have three very large resident bullfrogs in my pond. They feast on the hundreds of toads that come around the pond to breed at night. We also see quite a few leopard frogs as well. Since my large garden is right next to my pond, it makes a great great habitat for them as I always see them searching for bugs and stuff when I'm tending to my vegetable beds. All in all I love these amphibian friends that choose to live in my backyard "theme park".
I love the frogs as well, and I just leave Nature alone, but I have a unique situation. I have an outdoor box turtle habitat, and as much as I like the amphibians and other reptiles (skinks, anoles), they are competitors for the same little 6-legged critters that my turtles forage on. Right now there are at least 2 Southern Leoprds that actually take up residence in the turtle habitat, and at least 2 Green Tree Frogs living in the yard somewhere.. As well as Fowler’s toads (and these are the ones that overrun the pond and yard) out the wazoo!

Reaction score
I admire how you have taken the time and interest to actually identify each species of frog or toad that shows up in your backyard.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I admire how you have taken the time and interest to actually identify each species of frog or toad that shows up in your backyard.
Oh, Nature is fascinating and I am a curious soul! We have had — though not this year — Cope’s Gray tree frogs (my favorites) and Bronze frogs, as well. The Bronze frogs were the most difficult to ID, as all I had to go on was the call. Then one day I heard one outside and sneaked up to the window to observe and was finally able to confirm and match the call with the creature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That’s the founders story at blue ridge koi. They started in 1934 in the depression, and the founder thought he could raise frogs and sell frogs legs to restaurants from the enormous pond on his farm. He bought goldfish, bait fish, to feed the frogs. By harvest time all the frogs hopped away and he ended up selling goldfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That’s the founders story at blue ridge koi. They started in 1934 in the depression, and the founder thought he could raise frogs and sell frogs legs to restaurants from the enormous pond on his farm. He bought goldfish, bait fish, to feed the frogs. By harvest time all the frogs hopped away and he ended up selling goldfish.
To bad I love frog legs. Of course not from the ones in my pond. That would be like eating one of our dogs isn't gonna happen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
I've had green pond frogs every year. I love them .. Until I realized the thing was eating my birds!!! I watched him stalk and kill my wild bird... Grab it by the head drag it into the pond drowned it and chew on its head.. Every few days we would find one floating, dead... Now I'm all about nature and understand the need to eat.. But I remove all bird killers a.s.a.p.!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've had green pond frogs every year. I love them .. Until I realized the thing was eating my birds!!! I watched him stalk and kill my wild bird... Grab it by the head drag it into the pond drowned it and chew on its head.. Every few days we would find one floating, dead... Now I'm all about nature and understand the need to eat.. But I remove all bird killers a.s.a.p.!!
I started doing the same, I still cannot believe a frog ate my butterfly koi, I could understand a small fish, but that one was at least 12" ):

Ask a Question