Frogs, Salt, and Koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
First off, I don't want to offend any frog lovers. I like wildlife too, but bears are enough for me to deal with. So to the frogs. When the pond was first build and fish had not been introducedwe had a HUGE problem with tree frogs. The noise was deafening. Fast forward to year two. Not so bad because, I think, they don't like to lay eggs where there are fish. But now, February of year 3, they are back. The warm weather, climate change I guess, has them populating our pond, but not in great numbers. Only a few as far as I can tell.

So here's the question. I'm thinking of spraying a water/table salt solution around the rocks, especially at the bottom or the falls, which are not running this winter. Hopefully this will give them the message to leave. But will a small amount of table salt water solution hurt the fish? If so, could I use sodium percarbonate, which I use to control algae with no ill effects, instead?

Thanks.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Unless you are able to apply the spray directly to the frogs, this may be an exercise in futility. A little salt on their feet and undersides is not likely to deter frogs (or toads) of any specie from the primal urge of procreation in a nice fresh water pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well there is that. Primal urges and all. But could the table salt spray hurt the koi if I give it a try?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Should not harm the Koi at the level you probably will be using. I would be careful to keep the spray away from any plantings that you may have around the pond. Many plants are very intolerant of salinity.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
At the size of the pollywogs from tree frogs and spring peepers, my guess is your fish will demolish them more thoroughly than any salt ring could.
Additionally, not only everybody knows your garden Gnomes and Fairies like to ride on your toads and tree-frogs, they also know salt-rings only work on keeping out evil spirits and things.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I say they are tree frogs, but am not so sure. I saw one of the frogs swimming the other day. He looked like a small regular frog. The tree frogs I found a few years ago were, I think, much smaller. So maybe they're not tree frogs. I know the koi are not eating whatever is swimming around. I think it may be too big. But the noise they make is not like the bull frogs I've had in other ponds. This is more like the tree frog noise, but not as shrill. Also only a few, not a million, of 'em. Maybe another kind of frog?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
most table salt has iodine in it and what I was told in larger amounts it can be harmful ,not sure it is true or not .I catch my frogs and take them away to farm ponds that need them .Farmers are happy and sure that frogs like the new bigger home

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I enjoy the racket, they come to the pond during mating season then move back to the woods. Same with the toads, a lot of racket then gone.

I get thousands of eggs then tads, never see that many frogs hanging around.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Try placing the salt around the liner of the pond in heavy dosage but don't use table salt, use pond salt.

I'm surprised you have a lot of frogs, generally koi find them tasty. You need bigger fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My aggie kills frogs and i get to take out the remains of them .not good

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't think I could catch these guys, so pond salt is probably the best way. But it's been cold the last few days and they haven't been making much noise. I can take the current racket, but a few years ago couldn't even hear the TV they were so loud at night.

Of course if I started the falls up that might get them to move out as well. Choices, choices, choices..

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
SnailHello2.gif
and welcome @Chris 1234

Ask a Question