From pond dwellers to basement dwellers

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by Sparky, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Sparky

Sparky

The pond is now been operating for 2 months now. It has been so rewarding and such a great introduction to this side of the aquatics realm. In about 3 months here however it will be time to shut it down. This means the kids go south for the winter so it’s time to start planning the basement pond. I have an area picked out. Plan so far? Well, concept anyway is a 3 tub system. Stock tank for the kids and mortar tub or two for the plants. I’m thinking a cascading system with water pumped from stock tank up to the first plant tub which would overflow to second plant tub and then back to the stock tank. At first I thought about incorporating the existing pump and filter system from the pond but I would rather build something new (more fun) plus have the extra time to winterize and do a deep cleaning and tear down so I am ready next season. So being said, I am wide open as usual to the great pond nation’s input on this. I’m not to happy about moving the kids from 355 to 150 gallons but at there size currently I don’t see a problem. 3 Sarasa, 3 fantail comets and 1 white fancy comet (my baby Angel). 5 to 8” and growing. No pump or filter picked out yet. I’m all ears and thanks in advance.

Sparky, Jul 4, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Sparky

MitchM

I would cover all your indoor aquariums as much as possible to reduce humidity in your home.
    We probably have similar winter conditions and that's my focus. I use a HRV (Heat Recovery Ventilator) here and design it so the HRV intake draws humid air to the outdoors.

MitchM, Jul 4, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Sparky

Sparky

An angle that needs to be addressed for sure. My house however is a relic from the square nail days and is about as insulated and tight as a ziplock baggie without the zip. When we hit the -20F 30 day stretches, I’m begging for humidity in this house. My HRV is a good westerly blowing the heat to the east side of the building. BUT the excess moisture if there is any has to be removed from the “pond room” for sure. I have some digital environmental controls laying around from jobs that I was going to tinker with. The corner of the basement where this is taking place I planned on boxing in. 2x2 construction with certifoam to keep some heat. The basement is cool with exposed ledge rock.

Sparky, Jul 4, 2018
  4. Sparky

MitchM

Love old houses.
    Old leaky houses can be healthier than new tight houses, depending on the builder.
    Have a look at where the warm humid air exits to outside.
    Hopefully there is little mould.

MitchM, Jul 4, 2018
  5. Sparky

GBBUDD

Air movement "fans" and light will prevent 90% of mold from growing

GBBUDD, Jul 5, 2018
  6. Sparky

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Good you are planning it now.

I have no knowledge of bringing fish inside for the winter, mine get to stay right where they are.

addy1, Jul 5, 2018
  7. Sparky

herzausstahl herzausstahl

Look for @koiguy1969 basement pond build in the forums. He's had it running successfully for several years now!

herzausstahl, Jul 12, 2018
  8. Sparky

koiguy1969 GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!

My basement pond has been running since 2007 trouble free..no issues from humidity. No mold issues. Basement heat and air vents are left closed.basement stays about 67*, water stays about] 58* years round for the most part.
    IMG_20180601_081025624.jpg

koiguy1969, Jul 12, 2018
    Tula likes this.
  9. Sparky

Tula

I'd be sure to consider the basics, access to water, electric and drains :)

Tula, Jul 12, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question