From pond dwellers to basement dwellers

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
The pond is now been operating for 2 months now. It has been so rewarding and such a great introduction to this side of the aquatics realm. In about 3 months here however it will be time to shut it down. This means the kids go south for the winter so it’s time to start planning the basement pond. I have an area picked out. Plan so far? Well, concept anyway is a 3 tub system. Stock tank for the kids and mortar tub or two for the plants. I’m thinking a cascading system with water pumped from stock tank up to the first plant tub which would overflow to second plant tub and then back to the stock tank. At first I thought about incorporating the existing pump and filter system from the pond but I would rather build something new (more fun) plus have the extra time to winterize and do a deep cleaning and tear down so I am ready next season. So being said, I am wide open as usual to the great pond nation’s input on this. I’m not to happy about moving the kids from 355 to 150 gallons but at there size currently I don’t see a problem. 3 Sarasa, 3 fantail comets and 1 white fancy comet (my baby Angel). 5 to 8” and growing. No pump or filter picked out yet. I’m all ears and thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I would cover all your indoor aquariums as much as possible to reduce humidity in your home.
We probably have similar winter conditions and that's my focus. I use a HRV (Heat Recovery Ventilator) here and design it so the HRV intake draws humid air to the outdoors.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I would cover all your indoor aquariums as much as possible to reduce humidity in your home
An angle that needs to be addressed for sure. My house however is a relic from the square nail days and is about as insulated and tight as a ziplock baggie without the zip. When we hit the -20F 30 day stretches, I’m begging for humidity in this house. My HRV is a good westerly blowing the heat to the east side of the building. BUT the excess moisture if there is any has to be removed from the “pond room” for sure. I have some digital environmental controls laying around from jobs that I was going to tinker with. The corner of the basement where this is taking place I planned on boxing in. 2x2 construction with certifoam to keep some heat. The basement is cool with exposed ledge rock.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Love old houses.
Old leaky houses can be healthier than new tight houses, depending on the builder.
Have a look at where the warm humid air exits to outside.
Hopefully there is little mould.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Air movement "fans" and light will prevent 90% of mold from growing

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good you are planning it now.

I have no knowledge of bringing fish inside for the winter, mine get to stay right where they are.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
My basement pond has been running since 2007 trouble free..no issues from humidity. No mold issues. Basement heat and air vents are left closed.basement stays about 67*, water stays about] 58* years round for the most part.
IMG_20180601_081025624.jpg

Ask a Question