Front Yard Pond

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
Relandscaped the front yard and Incorporated a custom water feature into the design.

IMG_20170710_184940.jpg

Added Yellow flag Iris and Parrots Feather in the feature. Added a variety of plants around the edge. I forgot some of the names. Lol
IMG_20170710_184955.jpg
A shot from above. The pond is a hybrid between a reservoir feature and a ornamental pool. The pool also acts as a bird bath. I placed some bird feeders nearby to complete the area. We see lots of feathered visitors.

A 5 gallon bucket is buried under the larger part of the pool. A solar pump pumps the water up to the pool at the surface through the taller fountain jet. A return pipe next to the shorter fountain carries the water back to the reservoir and help promote cross-circulation preventing stagnant "dead-zones".

IMG_20170710_185014.jpg
This solar panel powers the smaller fountain and light.

IMG_20170710_185023.jpg
This solar panel powers the main pump.

The broken light fixture will eventually be turned into a spotlight for the flagpole in adjacent flower bed to the pool.

IMG_20170710_185030.jpg
The controller station for the small fountain. This has a built-in timer, battery and flow rate adjustment. Also turns the lights on at night.
IMG_20170710_185035.jpg
The controller for the main pump. Has same functions at the other controller.
IMG_20170710_185217.jpg

15 gallon Reserve water supply. A series of tubing and valves run to the pool under the hedge to help keep the water feature full even in hot weather. These also help capture rainwater that fall off the roof. The buckets are hidden behind the hedges to keep the HOA happy. :D

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
looks like a great design! Personally (as a critic) I don't like the gravel you chose in the pond as much, you don't notice its even a water feature until you look at it real good (imo)

FountainMan

Reaction score
looks like a great design! Personally (as a critic) I don't like the gravel you chose in the pond as much, you don't notice its even a water feature until you look at it real good (imo)
We have an HOA so I try and adhere to the rules.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@FountainMan love what you did in the front yard. I like your creative way of capturing and saving rain water.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
love it and the sweet potato vine is going to love it also 'I like the shape of the solar readout for the battery and stuff ,looks like a house

FountainMan

Reaction score
The little pond in the picture has grown since my initial post here. There was an incident a little over a month ago where an underground irrigation pipe burst and flooded underneath the pond and then whole thing had to be redone. The solar pump was moved to another water feature in the other side of the yard.

IMG_20170914_173326.jpg

This is what the pond looks like today. Added extra filtration. For more on that click here. https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/water-quality-recommendations.22098/

Ask a Question