Froze hose :O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Checked on the goldfish pond and found it to be a bit low. Went to top it up, and hose is frozen solid. It seems that in cold, dry, windy weather it loses water faster.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Checked on the goldfish pond and found it to be a bit low. Went to top it up, and hose is frozen solid. It seems that in cold, dry, windy weather it loses water faster.
I have been adding water all fall and winter, we have been dry and windy. All the ponds have needed fill ups. I just hook the hose back up and fill the ponds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We keep a short section of hose in the basement for just this issue - they all freeze outside, even if I keep them in the garage. Having a nice pliable hose when you're already freezing to death outside is a nice luxury!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We keep a short section of hose in the basement for just this issue - they all freeze outside, even if I keep them in the garage. Having a nice pliable hose when you're already freezing to death outside is a nice luxury!
I need a long one to reach the big pond, use one of those cloth type hoses, not expanding, but cloth like. I drain it and it stays very pliable. Leave it hanging outside near the faucets.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine is buriedbut I make sure all the hoses are drained and disconnected when winter starts. Had a faucet freeze and crack because the hose was connected

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

that is one reason I put up the winter tent now; that, and it means come the end of March, I'm not waiting for the ice to melt to do anything to the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As Addy said, always drain the hose after use.

And as mrsclem suggested, always disconnect the water hose from the faucet before turning the faucet on. I turned my faucet on last year with the hose connected. It burst the line inside the house. Plummer cost me almost $500 for repair. They said that is a very common cause of burst pipes, even though I had one of the faucets that was made with the valve set back inside the house about a foot or so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
As Addy said, always drain the hose after use.

And as mrsclem suggested, always disconnect the water hose from the faucet before turning the faucet on. I turned my faucet on last year with the hose connected. It burst the line inside the house. Plummer cost me almost $500 for repair. They said that is a very common cause of burst pipes, even though I had one of the faucets that was made with the valve set back inside the house about a foot or so.
Yep, always disconnect your hose for the winter, even with a frost free hose bib (spigot).
The hose bib needs to drain and if the hose is connected, water will get trapped and the pipe will burst.

I learned that lesson years ago. I had left the hose connected. When I turned it on in the Spring and I could hear the water flowing, but not much was coming out. The water was flowing inside the wall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If,
those hose
that froze
we knows
exposed
just shows
opposed,