Frozen bog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is my first winter with a bog. It’s all new to me so I thought I’d ask the experts! We had temps drop into the low teens and light snow. The pond is fine, (has another pump),but the bog is frozen solid. I unplugged the pump to the bog, and am waiting for a thaw before I turn it back on. I hope this was right, thought I check everyone. Thanks!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Its right. It's ok for the bog to freeze as long as there is water in it. You don't want the plants to dry out and then freeze.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks mrsClem, it was full of water when I unplugged it, the water has drained down into the pea gravel now and frozen. Does it hurt the pump if you don’t unplug it? With the moving water, I wasn’t sure if it would freeze solid. Do I wait for a total thaw before turning it back on? ‍

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Its ok to unplug the pump as long as it is in deep enough water that it doesn't freeze. I disconnect and unplug my pump and just leave it in the pond. I don't restart my bog until e everything is thawed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks mrsClem, it was full of water when I unplugged it, the water has drained down into the pea gravel now and frozen. Does it hurt the pump if you don’t unplug it? With the moving water, I wasn’t sure if it would freeze solid. Do I wait for a total thaw before turning it back on? ‍
what mrsclem said; more pumps die prematurely because peeps take them out and the seals dry out until next season. Even if you do take a pump out, best to store in a bucket of water over winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
How deep is your bog? I thought there was no way my 12-14 inch deep bog would freeze solid but now I'm concerned...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The bog is 12 to 14” deep. It is pretty frozen now. I hope it’s not unplugged more than it’s plugged in this winter. I guess that means I’m hopeful we’ll have a warm winter! The pond is not frozen at all.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That's so interesting. Around here the top of my pond has been freezing over every night, then thawing during the day. The bog is completely unfrozen, although I am still pumping water to the bog, so I guess the circulation is keeping it from freezing. My bog is also partially underground and the walls are pretty thick retaining wall blocks which probably helps with insulation.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I shut down my bog as soon as we started getting deep freezes. Filters are still running and will stay on till ponds freeze over. Pond breathers running.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I unplug our bog pump and drain the lines. Water remains in the bog and I'm sure it freezes, but plants come back in the Spring.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I turn off everything, pond and bog, usually as soon as our temperatures drop. Usually in Nov. The bog freezes (stays full of water) the pond freezes and or just slightly ices over. Depends on the winter. So far pond breathers are not on, they are in the ponds but I have not plugged in. Everyday the ponds are liquid again.

In the spring, usually late Feb the plants start growing again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm in zone 6b, northeastern Pennsylvania. It can get pretty cold here for extended times.

My bog ran all last winter with no problems. It was it's first winter though.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I won't leave mine on, too much of a chance of a ice dam. With a external pump that has been running for over 20 years I do not want to take a chance of a power out and the pump taking a hit. ie freezing and cracking

Ask a Question