Frozen curley rush

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Ok so I shut down my filter last weekend. I had a gallon pot of curley rush in there that did great. So great that I had to rip it out of there as the roots had grown through the grate on the top and into the media below.
For the time being, I plopped it in a corner shelf of the pond. It must be all roots because it got windy and it preceded to just float merrily around the pond for a week. Then it got really cold last night (down to 17F) so everything left is officially frozen now.

My question is do I cut it back or no? Bury it in the garden or leave it in the pond? Sink to the bottom or anchor to the side of the pond? It isn't going to sink without the help of a decent size rock. I'm not sure what to do with this plant.
I do have a smaller one that is bareroot on the pond shelf (shallow) so it will have to stay where it is. Will bring in the big floater if that is your recommendation but folage has to be dead now.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In cold climates, clumps die to the ground in winter. Cut back old foliage in early spring ....................per the net

My rush freezes solid, comes back every year. I would just leave it, trim the dead off next spring. Maybe anchor it to one spot in the pond. It is good down to -15 5a zone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Addy, Good to know I probably have not killed it. Thank you :)
Will try to anchor it to the side of the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fingers crossed! lol. Spring will tell ya

Ask a Question