frozen pond

carmel

Carmel
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
i had a pond de-icer in my pond but it quit working..i have purchased a new one but we are at -18c here and the pond has frozen pretty good now. any tips on how to make a hole in the ice to put in the new de-icer??? i have though of boiling water...but i think the ice is too thick for that....an ice fishing auger....can i stand on the pond??? something drastic like a chain saw???

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
how thick do you think the ice is .Maybe you can use a drill with a paddle bit in it to help make a hole .You can buy extended bits that are 12 inches long .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have had record cold temps here and a few of my air stones (used to keep holes in the ice) quit working. Yesterday I hooked the garden hose up to the sink faucet and turned the water on hot. I ran the hose out to the pond and used it to melt the holes and get the air stones working again. It worked surprisingly fast on ice that is 4" thick. I first tried using a small torch which worked way to slow. Luckily we have tankless water heaters so I did not have to worry about running out of hot water.

carmel

Carmel
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
the ice is probably 5-6 inches thick....i think a pot of hot water would cool too quickly today...still at -17 and now snowing too...going to try the auger later today....will have to make two or three holes with it to fit the heater in though....

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
carmel said:
the ice is probably 5-6 inches thick....i think a pot of hot water would cool too quickly today...still at -17 and now snowing too...going to try the auger later today....will have to make two or three holes with it to fit the heater in though....
Before I had a de-icer this winter, I filled a half gallon with hot, non-boiled water, slowly poured it in the exact same spot. With 3" of ice it usually took 1-2 half gallons, but only opened a hole maybe 4" wide. Maybe if you made a few extra trips in and out you could get it done.

carmel

Carmel
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
well i didnt get out to it today so maybe tomorrow i will try the hot water technique first before i do anything else drastic....snowing too hard now to go out ...will have to shovel off a bit first tomorrow...the de-icer is about 8 inches wide so i need a fairly large hole... anyone know how long fish will last without a hole for them....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I would think they'd be fine for now, besides, what else can you do? Your weather sounds frigid and snowy….be safe yourself. Kim

Reaction score
It is hard to say how long they will last. It depends on many things, including the size of your pond and the stocking level, as well as your levels of things like ammonia and nitrate etc. There is a person on here who let their pond freeze over last Winter and it was the first Winter he lost any fish. So I wouldn't wait super long. I imagine a week would be no problem.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Place the de-icer where you want it and plug it in! Works like a charm. (I speak from experience; I wait too long every year!)
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was going to say the same thing - the de-icer that we have can be placed on the ice and it melts it's own hole! We tried the boiling water trick last year - didn't even make a dent!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my ice will be gone by saturday, we are heading back up to 60...........

carmel

Carmel
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
i didnt know the de-icer would make its own hole.....i will remember that for next time...hopefully there isnt a next time....as for this time ...all is well...my son made three holes close together with the auger and chipped out the middle parts.....good to have fishermen in the family!..thanks for all the advice...

Ask a Question