Frozen pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a small pond with Koi. Can I put a fairly heavy tree limb in the pond to give the fish air?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
So many questions! A tree branch is not going to supply air. Are you referring to keeping the pond from freezing over?
SO- how big is your small pond?
How many koi and what size? Do you have any filtration or water movement?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a small pond with Koi. Can I put a fairly heavy tree limb in the pond to give the fish air?
if you're intending on creating a hole in the ice, DON'T pound on it trying. The shock can kill your fish. Use a pot of hot water; set it on the ice, when cold, go in make some more, place it back. Rinse wash repeat until you have a hole.

You can keep a hole open with an aerator; hang it 12" below the surface. Cover the pump to keep the weather out and realize, the tube might ice up. I had to go to a larger 3/8 rubber hose and a better pump, but it works.

If you can find a pond breather, that will keep a hole in the ice.

You can aim a small aquarium pump up toward the surface and this can keep a hole open.

If you have a waterfall, if kept running during the winter, can keep a hole open. Realize, you need to have a secure waterfall area so any splashing which freezes (and it will) won't lower the pond water level.

A cattle trough heater will open a hole and keep it open. They tend to only come on when the water is within the range of 32F, so it doesn't suck up your heating $$. Get the kind that float and attach a cord/rope as you'll need some way of keeping it away from your liner.

Realize, cold water holds a lot more O2 than warm and since your fish are hibernating, they dont need/use as much either. Any algae on the sides/UW surfaces of your pond will give off O2 all year long.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome, but I’m afraid that your “topic title,” and what you have posted seem a little bit disjointed. So, is your pond frozen? Why do you think that a large tree branch is going to provide air for your fish? Hmmmm, is this even a real post? If so, it might be helpful, if uh, you gave us a little more information about yourself….and your pond…..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
NO............. poster joined today ....................

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1642122981213.gif
@JaneBranch
Hmmmmmmmmm? Jane Branch and a tree limb, very interesting :cool:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That will soon change I AM DONE TRAVELING . the landscaping will look quite different this year. I have already set up a small 3000 gallon submersible that is now dumping over the stream upper pond , main falls and the hobbit falls.

Ask a Question