Frozen underground pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi owing to the cold weather I have noticed that the pump is not pumping the water out of the filter. (It's my husbands pond and he is at golf!!) he has a number of large koi an the pond which is approx 10 feet X 6 feet. I believe the pipes must be frozen under ground? Any suggestions will be greatfully received as I would hate for him to return to oxygen starved fish!!!
Thank you

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi @Maggie brown ! Welcome! Sorry that this is the reason you have found us, but hopefully we can help with some advice!

First, have you checked to see if the pump is actually running? It's possible the pump has failed or the GFI tripped at the outlet.

Second, if the pump is running is it still under water? Or could the water level have dropped to below the pump level?

If it's neither of those things then it is possible the pipes are frozen and unfortunately there's not much you can do about that right now. Tell us as much as you can about your pond - you said it's 10x6; how deep is it? How many koi? What type of filtration? How cold is cold? Any info you can give would be helpful!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Is the problem solved?

If nothing else, I bet it's all thawed out by now!

It's kind of a common occurrence for people to post a question, get some helpful answers and then never return to tell us how things worked out. Hopefully the thread is still helpful to someone else reading in the future!

Ask a Question