Frozen waterfall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
We live in Georgia and are having below freezing temperatures all week. Should have turned off the waterfall; it froze over last night and drained water out of pond. Besides leaving waterfall off, and pump running, should I purchase a heater for the pond? I have a small electric heater that only keeps a hole in the ice, when the top of the pond freezes. Luckily, was able to add water back to pond; not sure if fish made it, still dark outside.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Turn it off as if it runs over the sides your pond could empty out in a matter of an hour or so and you may not notice it until it is to late .Been there done that ;):(

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
a lot of people call them heaters ,I know I do .I am waiting for my new one to get here since the cat broke the power cord on mine .
101_2968.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Heating the pond can confuse the fish into breeding and then when it really gets cold the fish can become egg bound and die .

Ask a Question