Frustrated

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good morning,
My pond is about two month old. It's around 700 gallons, 3 feet deep at its deepest, has a waterfall and biological filtration. I have healthy plants growing as well. I probably added fish too early, but have three comets that have been thriving. I had a significant algae bloom a few weeks ago, but the fish stayed happy and healthy. I realized my town uses chloromine so I purchased Pond Prime to treat the 40 gallons I added last weekend. Beyond thus, I have been adding beneficial bacteria weekly.

Two days ago, the algae began to clear and at the same time, my three happy and healthy fish have died. I researched it and it look like the loss of the algae could cause a drop in oxygen but my waterfall moves a lot of water. What are the thoughts of the experts? I thought my pond was finally where I wanted it to be.

Attachments

• 16555536951731475253492575113812.jpg
    16555536951731475253492575113812.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 31
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I’m sorry to hear about your fish. What we’re your water quality test results for pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? You could be right about low oxygen, but I would be sure to rule out other water issues as well. As the weather and water heats up, oxygen levels drop so that, along with the decaying dead algae, could have led to anoxia. Did they show any changes in behavior before they died? You can get an oxygen test kit that will give you a general idea, but I would also add extra aerators for the summer.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Did you test your water For ammonia, nitrite, nitrate ph and kh? How much circulation do you have in the pond?(shooting for 2x pond volume per hour in a pond your size) Is the water circulating through the entire pond?

This will give us an idea where your water quality is at. Many things could lead to the death of the fish, algae as it dies and decays will consume oxygen, but in a well set up pond this shouldn’t be an issue. Really, need to see your water parameters to get a better idea of what is going on.

One thing, add a lot more plants, while the ones you have appear to be doing well, get some that you can take out of pots and just wedge between rock, these Types of plants are better at pulling nutrients right out of the water. You want more than half the pond covered in plants ideally.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Very nice pond!

Agree with adding more plants, a lot more.

And let their roots free by taking them out of their pots.
That Papyrus needs to come out of that restrictive pot for example. Those plants develop large root balls and I'll almost guarantee the roots are bound up in that small pot. I rinse as much soil off of the roots as possible. Then wedge them between the rocks in the water and they do great.

If you can't find a way to plant them directly between rocks and such, buy or make mesh planting bags. They allow the water to flow through to the roots. Plus make sure the bags are large enough for the roots to spread out. You don't want them root bound.

I'm not positive, but it almost looks as if that water hyacinth in the foreground is in a pot. Let it free. It's a floating plant and doesn't need a pot or any soil.

If you like floating plants like water hyacinths, add some water lettuce. Floating plants are so easy. Just throw them in. They are great for the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
what do you have for a filter?
2 months isn't enough time for much to get situated. particularly with a bio filter.
the pond is small enough that there can be drastic changes to any one of the water parameters whether it be temp. or chlorine etc. Everything needs to happen slowly. fish can deal with a low ph within reason but take them from a 9 to a 6 in a matter of minutes and they will suffer

Ask a Question