fry spotted in pond

Reaction score
hello all,,im after some advice i have a medium sized pond with a mixture of fish amongst them,,goldfish,perch,one koi,shubunkins,orfe,rudd,tench,mirror carp 3 weeks ago i spotted some fry swiming amongst the weed.i think these are rudd fry and have also spotted mirror carp fry,,brown goldfish fry and also saw some 1 inch fry which are orange and white mixed today so it seems i have alot of diff fry,,the pond is 2 years old and hasnt been fully cleaned out yet. i was going to empty it this week before it gets colder and also catch the fry and move them to a tank in garage where its warmer is this advisable to empty the pond just now and is it advisable to remove the fry also? cheers guys any help appreciated:coolgleema::banghead3:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Kilty
Are you in Scotland laddy? Please post your Location in the UserCP at the top of this page.

We can then, better help you.

Reaction score
wow! fry at this point? Yeah, tell us where you live. I can only assume it is in a warmer zone...what do these fry look like? I would have to assume its not koi or goldfish at this pond, but one of your other fish...

Reaction score
hi guys,,yes im in scotland,:biggrin: yep the fry i have seen and caught are mostly half an inch long and i assume are this years fry,,i have a few orfe fry,,what seems to be 1 shubunkin fry and maybe 10 brown goldfish type fry,,clearly not a lot of fry and i assume most have been munched i do have lots of goldfish and orfe in the pond which i have seen chasing thefry should i remove them and tank them for winter to feed them on

Reaction score
hi dr dave yes the pond freezes the pond itself is 3 and a hlf foot at deepest,,fish have all survived both winters so far a part from 1 shubunkin died. at coldest prob minus 6 or 7

Reaction score
ah, so it's not brand new fry just born. That's what I thought you meant. If they are 1/2" long they are already maybe a one or two months old?

I would personally remove them from the pond if they are that little and put them in a tank indoors. I'd be really afraid of them dying once the cold hits.

Ask a Question