Fun snake story

Reaction score
Fun snake story... get out the carpet squares.

So last weekend I was in the front yard doing some yard work and my 10 year old is up by my smaller goldfish pond and yells out “snake!”. Before I could turn around, he had already snagged it by it’s tail and is holding it up. We are in south west Ohio in the burbs… so the snakes we do get are 99.99% chanced to be just a garter snake. I’m not a huge fan of snakes but I have snagged a few garters last year and tossed them in a terrarium for him to watch for a while before we release them. I was still shocked that he picked this one up by himself.

None the less… we release the snake back under the hostas that surround most of the pond. Fun times… but it got better. So later that day, still outside I hear a rustle in the hostas…. I called for my boy, who came running out and steps into the hosta bed to look for it. After moving a big leaf aside, he goes “Nah… it’s just the frog” and goes to pick it up…

AND this happens!

V

V

V

V

V

Attachments

• IMG_6274.JPG
    IMG_6274.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 154
Reaction score
There was a smaller one hopping around the pond earlier so maybe the snake just mixed up his meals. I ended up holding him behind the head it it released. We put the frog in the koi pond in back and let the snake go. They really put off the stinky musk odor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh my! I think his eyes were much bigger than his stomach - or his mouth! I've seen garter snakes manage to swallow toads that I thought were too big, but never something THAT large! What an exciting wildlife adventure right in your own back yard. :D

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow that snake was after all you can eat buffet w/take home the leftovers plan o_O

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mother nature at her best . we have all sat down to a meal where we said our eyes were bigger then our bellies WELL h gave new meaning to the phrase

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a find for your kid, he had to be excited.

Ask a Question