Fungus on my koi

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks Meyer & Dave, when I saw this guy 3 days ago as I was draining the pond he had very little life left in him, sitting listless on the pond bottom. Water chem perfect. Another problem which I talked about is locally there is none of these treatment products around that you mentioned. Only thing I found was API Fungus Clear and has none of the ingredients mentioned that work.

I did read the andy41 topic, but photos are deleted. He did say the fungus came back a 2nd time and then the topic stops.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
looked like Saprolegnia , next time use methylene blue or green , i have treated fungus from it within 2 days it stops and starts recovering . normaly you dont have much time if your not treating them correctly they will die in one or 2 days , i dont recommend salts or other experiments if its growing fast in 2nd stage and u dont see any results , if its not the rite treatment u will not have time , i have seen similer one other person used salts etc on fungus and it died on this forum .
use antifungal meds instead or meth blue

https://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Saprolegnia

Treatments
(please add more if you know of any)

Saprolegnia
  • This fungus (infection) spreads and eventually kills the animal.
Causes
  • Damaged skin or fins.
  • Bacteria infections which leads to further skin and fin damage.
This fungus is often seen after fin-rot or skin damage has appeared and is called cotton-wooldisease due to it's fluffy white or grey appearance.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Sorry I missed this wayne my what a sad state this guy gothimself/herself into .
You should have gone through the older cases of fungal infections espeially the one with @Andy41which wasa rather in depth case .
For future referance you could have anethatized your koi then removed the fungal growth by hand "with cotton wool fungus" , then treated any wounds with a dab of malachite then sprayed propolis over the Malachichite .
However there has to be a reason for this fungal infection my friend but its a question of tracking down the why I'm affraid.
What are your water perameters ?

Dave
it can come from spores in air , i think it attacks weak fish ie injured or scrached , i think ur rite the environment plays role around pond , should not have dead material

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Time to stock the medicine chest with hundreds of $$ worth as none of those meds can be found locally and some are banned in Canada. Translate the internet and the dark web[not doing that] are sources. Only thing I found locally was the fungus cure, 3mg Victoria Green B and 30mg Acriflavine. Last time I thought I had sick fish was 2013 and turned out not to be. SO pay hundreds of dollars to keep meds that probably will expire by the time I need them again lol.

In 2 days this guy was a goner. I said 3 days but I think it was dead the day before.

So much conflicting advice on the web. Some say salt treatments and salt baths as a starter, then go to meds.

Last edited:

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
IT doesn't match the Saprolegnia. It doesn't appear cotton like to me, just a mass of growth. My question is should I treat the other fish that look healthy, and with what meds?

Thanks
Wayne

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I was reading another topic on another koi forum where this lady did all the things, salt baths, all kinds of meds, scraped the gunk off. What she ended up with was a fish that had no scales left with raw flesh and yes it died.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
looked like Saprolegnia , next time use methylene blue or green , i have treated fungus from it within 2 days it stops and starts recovering . normaly you dont have much time if your not treating them correctly they will die in one or 2 days , i dont recommend salts or other experiments if its growing fast in 2nd stage and u dont see any results , if its not the rite treatment u will not have time , i have seen similer one other person used salts etc on fungus and it died on this forum .
use antifungal meds instead or meth blue

https://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Saprolegnia

Treatments
(please add more if you know of any)

Saprolegnia
  • This fungus (infection) spreads and eventually kills the animal.
Causes
  • Damaged skin or fins.
  • Bacteria infections which leads to further skin and fin damage.
This fungus is often seen after fin-rot or skin damage has appeared and is called cotton-wooldisease due to it's fluffy white or grey appearance.
I have yet to find a decent photo of confirmed Sap!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My question is should I treat the other fish that look healthy, and with what meds?

I would say no. Very few meds have prophylactic abilities. All you would be doing is subjecting the fish to undue stress and wasting money. The best prevention is to maintain the basic health of your fish through proper water quality and minimal exposure to stress.
Fungi, fungi-like organisms, parasites, viruses and infectious bacteria are ubiquitous in all aquatic venues. It is next to impossible to permanently eradicate them. Fish have built-in defenses to all of these with immune systems and slime coats. Good fish health through proper husbandry will insure that these two defenses remain strong.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
That is what I'm finding as well, thanks. And these chem's kill the good bacteria.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
One update, some of these meds are legal and are sold here, they just can't be used for any other purpose then pet fish. In one way that's crazy because they contain cancer causing agents and guess where the water goes after treatment or water changes, public water systems.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I would say no. Very few meds have prophylactic abilities. All you would be doing is subjecting the fish to undue stress and wasting money. The best prevention is to maintain the basic health of your fish through proper water quality and minimal exposure to stress.
Fungi, fungi-like organisms, parasites, viruses and infectious bacteria are ubiquitous in all aquatic venues. It is next to impossible to permanently eradicate them. Fish have built-in defenses to all of these with immune systems and slime coats. Good fish health through proper husbandry will insure that these two defenses remain strong.
I have to say I'm totally in agreement with @Meyer Jordan on this issue all fish be they coldwater, tropical, or marine have built in defences such as their immune systems and stress coats .
As meyer correctly states Fungi-like organizim's , parasites viruses are also ubiquitous in all aquatic venues .
As such it is next to impossible to irradicate them and it is only through good husbandry QT etc, that our fish remain healthy and illness is kept at bay break this chain and this is how we get problems ..
One chink in its amour and problems will occur and it is down to us to be on our guard against this happening
It is knowing what sysptoms to look out for and when discovered knowing how to treat them how to treat them in a timely manner.

Dave

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have to say I'm totally in agreement with @Meyer Jordan on this issue all fish be they coldwater, tropical, or marine have built in defences such as their immune systems and stress coats .
As meyer correctly states Fungi-like organizim's , parasites viruses are also ubiquitous in all aquatic venues .
As such it is next to impossible to irradicate them and it is only through good husbandry QT etc, that our fish remain healthy and illness is kept at bay break this chain and this is how we get problems ..
One chink in its amour and problems will occur and it is down to us to be on our guard against this happening
It is knowing what sysptoms to look out for and when discovered knowing how to treat them how to treat them in a timely manner.

Dave
I'm wondering if I should start salt again? I seem to recall you use salt all the time Dave.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wondering if I should start salt again? I seem to recall you use salt all the time Dave.
Not me my friend its all done by observing our koi, their water quality and QT proceedures , a scrape in the spring to check for parasites .
Use feeding routines whilst viewing your koi close up you wont need salt besides using salt this time of year can bring your ponds temperature down even more

Dave

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I brought them inside the garage for the winter.

Ask a Question