furnace filters and quilt batting

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am planning to use lava rock, quilt batting and furnace filters in my pond filter this year.

I bought the red lava rock which I plan to rinse and then soak before putting in laundry bag and then into the filter. I would like to buy quilt batting and furnace filters to use as well.

I am wondering which quilt batting you use? High loft, medium loft, etc. And exactly what furnace filters are safe to use in my filter?

I do remember some of you saying you purchase these items from Walmart or Lowes. Either place works for me I just want to know exactly what I should get.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I use the quilt batting but only in a basket under my falls. Don't know what kind of grade it is but I did get some out of the seats on my lawn swing after the fabric deteriorated. It's nice large pieces and rather thick and does a nice job of filtering the fine debris out of the water. Bet you could find it in a lot of cushions for free. Just rinse it good before usage.
Here is a photo of it I took cuz the cats were using it as a hideout while I had it out drying on the lawn. Silly cats!

IMG_1952.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use high loft and tried each one but found the high loft holds up to more cleanings than the other ones .I usually put the blue furnace filter on top of my quilt batting this way furnace filter picks up the heavy stuff and quilt batting picks up the fine stuff .I hose it off and soak it in peroxide and water .oyster shells to keep ph stable activated charcoal to help keep water cleaner

Attachments

• pond parts 001.JPG
    pond parts 001.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 328
  • pond parts 019.JPG
    pond parts 019.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 287
  • pond parts 015.JPG
    pond parts 015.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 307
  • pond parts 016.JPG
    pond parts 016.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 286
  • rain storm 4-15 2014 007.JPG
    rain storm 4-15 2014 007.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 316

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
lowes for the furnace filters about 68 dollars but the last .I have my furnace filter right now i the middle, quilt batting then 2 pieces of furnace filter and then more quilt batting since it is a new pond

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry meant 8 dollars for one I have had mine for 6 years now and just keep cleaning them like the quilt batting .I have had the quilt batting for over a year now .When the quilt batting starts to fall apart i rip it up for the birds to use for nests .The blue furnace filters are made similar to the regular pond filter stuff .I have also used the floor buffer pads .

Reaction score
Country
United States
you are always helpful sissy, thanks so much

My filter is a DIY made from a rubbermaid tote. The water comes in at the top and runs down through pvc pipe to the bottom of the tote. It then is directed two different ways by pcv in an s shape. The water runs back up through the media.

I was thinking of having the lava rock (in mesh laundry bags) in the bottom, then furnace filters, then quilt batting, then if or when I need to use carbon that would be in a bag or bags on the very top.

I am planning to try and hide the tote this year with rocks/bricks/plants haven't decided exactly what I'm doing. Then maybe having some live plants coming out of the top of the filter box instead of just having the lid on it with a plant on top like I did last year. Trying to make it look a little better.

Does the order that I have my filter media listed sound right to you?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It should work mine goes in the top and then comes out the tank adapters through a T pipe .I do a liner around my tanks and then use concrete block around under the liner so if the tank leaks it runs back into the pond .This connects to my tank adapter and pulls the water back up from mid bottom .Remember you need a space on the bottom for gunk to settle .I doubled up my totes ,just cut the handle off one so the other would slip inside

Attachments

• pond  and tank adapter 042.JPG
    pond and tank adapter 042.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 300
  • pond  and tank adapter 041.JPG
    pond and tank adapter 041.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 315
  • pond parts 013.JPG
    pond parts 013.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 279
  • pond 2013 020.JPG
    pond 2013 020.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 300

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put plants in pots in mine but i have to trim the roots often .fountain grass lemon grass and striped grass

Attachments

• pond july 27 2013 001.JPG
    pond july 27 2013 001.JPG
    314.6 KB · Views: 328

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can find it in Asian markets ,As long as it has the ends on it and get rooting hormone to dip it in and it grows fast

Reaction score
Can any of you supply the name of the furnace filters your using? I've read not to use the fiberglass kind, only the biodegrable kind, but it was hard to find. I didn't see any that said either.

Ask a Question