Furnace Filters to remove TSS (Total Suspended Solids) from the pond...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
I am in process of cleaning out and redoing the bog in the pond I inherited with my new home. Once I am done with the renovation I am going to construct a filter box to help me remove the heavy load of TSS (Total Suspended Solids) which have been deposited by the bog over time.

I am going to use furnace filters and activated carbon plus water changes to get remove the TSS and the tea color from the water. My question is for those who have used furnace filters in the past what type do you use? Is there a certain MERV level that you have had success with? I want something that will catch the TSS but not clog up in 10 seconds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
Any filter that "catches the TSS" will clog. The better it "catches" the faster it will clog.

Yeah I understand that so is there a better way to remove them short of high volume water changes? The source of new TSS will be resolved once the bog reno is complete I am just looking for an efficient way to remove that is currently in there.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The filters that most people use are from Lowes. I believe they are Filtrete brand. They are blue and have no frame so can be cut to fit. Easy to hose off and they last for several years. They will remove larger solids and then use quilt batting for small particles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
The filters that most people use are from Lowes. I believe they are Filtrete brand. They are blue and have no frame so can be cut to fit. Easy to hose off and they last for several years. They will remove larger solids and then use quilt batting for small particles.

Yeah I found those and plan on picking some up. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Yeah I found those and plan on picking some up. Thanks.
I have used the blur furnance filters in the past and was not happy with the results. What has worked better for me is quilt batting. I noticed a significant improvement in water clarity. From observation the blue filter furance appears more porous and in my opinion will let finer particles pass thru compared to quilt batting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
I have used the blur furnance filters in the past and was not happy with the results. What has worked better for me is quilt batting. I noticed a significant improvement in water clarity. From observation the blue filter furance appears more porous and in my opinion will let finer particles pass thru compared to quilt batting.

Yeah I am going looking to construct a box that will use furnace filters for the first stage then quilt batting as the second so that the batting does not clog up as quickly. I have done it in the past but have forgotten a lot of the details on ponding since my last pond which was about 7 years ago.

Ask a Question