Future pond plans.

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
Okay so I'm nearing first shovel insertion. I've already got the pond planned out for the most part. But need some advice from the pros (Wayne I was thinking of you when I said that) Anyway a check list of what's planned.

1. 30x20< 45 mil EPDM liner. 366.00$
2. New power cord for Kasco 1/4hp fountain. 70.44$
3. 5100GPH waterfall pump. 185.00$
4. Waterfall filter for stream. 150.00$
5. Pressurized bio filter. 325.00$
6. NDS drainage for overflow. 25.00$
7. Power timer and GFCI (still pending). 345.00$
8. 2x Pressure treated bridge. 1500.00$
9. 50' corrugated tubing. 32.00$
10. Stone and masonary. 500.00$
11. A way to come up with that money Total 3498.44$

Not counting surrounding landscape add another 1000-3000$.

I AM NOT FILTHY RICH D***IT!!! LOL.

Anyway here's the overall idea in attached image.

I think I have it well thought out but if I'm going to spend big money I want to do it right otherwise I'll be paying more later.

Instant image. Sorry for the somewhat crapy illustration.

Depending on quality of pay check this may take from 1 to 5 years maybe more.

Attachments

• pond project.png
    pond project.png
    190.5 KB · Views: 320

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If your going to have to make cuts start with the pressure filter, Skimmer, bottom drains, and DYI filter would probably be money better spent. Not sure what you have in mind by that but in many cases pressurized filters can be more problems than their $$ warrant. $1500 on the 2 bridges seems on the steep side as well. If you shop you should be able to cut cost there and add that cost in some place where it would be far better spent. Plan and set your pond depth for your area. I see Texas, heat can be just as as cold. Then get a actual size on the pond before figureing your actual pump size. Fit the pump to the pond not the pond to the pumps. Oh and keep in mind the EXTRAS. like taking the significant other out to dinner once in a while or other things needed to make up for all the time you spend with this project. LOL

Reaction score
Not sure what "Power timer and GFCI (still pending). 345.00$" is, maybe cost of having an electrician run power? If just for a timer you can something like the following for less than $20. Plugs into an outdoor 15 amp outlet and one or two devices plug into the controller. Fully programmable. Or for about $150 I have a remote in the house that controls several outdoor outlets, but that's kind of overkill.

ada653bb-6f6e-4dd3-a13a-bf925288d9aa_300.jpg

FountainMan

Reaction score
Not sure what "Power timer and GFCI (still pending). 345.00$" is.
Means I don't need it but nice to have it. My pumps will run with or without it.

345$ for Kasco's C-25 controller which would power all pumps and lights and shut them off.

FountainMan

Reaction score
If your going to have to make cuts start with the pressure filter, Skimmer, bottom drains, and DYI filter would probably be money better spent. Not sure what you have in mind by that but in many cases pressurized filters can be more problems than their $$ warrant. $1500 on the 2 bridges seems on the steep side as well. If you shop you should be able to cut cost there and add that cost in some place where it would be far better spent. Plan and set your pond depth for your area. I see Texas, heat can be just as as cold. Then get a actual size on the pond before figureing your actual pump size. Fit the pump to the pond not the pond to the pumps. Oh and keep in mind the EXTRAS. like taking the significant other out to dinner once in a while or other things needed to make up for all the time you spend with this project. LOL
Okay awesome. I'm going to research on how to build the filter. How backflush works etc. Bottom drain is DIY using threaded fittings. The bottom drain will also connect to an overflow pipe which can be removed when the pond needs to be drained. That means my pond won't overflow and I don't have to worry about putting too many holes in the liner LOL.

Looked up homemade bridge and looks like there is a bit of warping involved. And I don't have clamps so the bridge will have to be prefabricated. The pond will be 3 Ft deepat the deepest.

For the pump I'm going as big as possible. I can always use valves to control the flow.

Anyway thanks for the tips. I definitly have something to think about now.

Ask a Question