Fuzzy white stuff on koi

Reaction score
My mom has a 1000 gallon pond in her backyard with 20 or so fish. Almost half of them are these "black" (gold, grey, black) "koi" (supposed to be koi, probably aren't). Anyways, some of the black ones have patches of white fuzzy stuff on them. The strange thing is, its only the black ones. The other colorful ones don't have it as far as I can see. Here's some pictures
14tbnnp.jpg

j0jzhe.jpg

16bf04k.jpg

Another thing. The black ones keep swimming into the skimmer. We've made the opening as small as possible but they keep going in there, we have to fish them out a few times a day. We're not sure if they're hiding because some bird of prey took a few of them, or what. Again, its only the black ones going in there.

Reaction score
Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines
I think most would agree that "koi" is the generic word for carp. But if by talking "koi", what you actually meant are the KOI that the japanese would consider as KOI, then maybe, just maybe those fish in your pictures are koi. What a tongue twister! Anyway, the bottomline is that if a koi does not fit into the 13 or so categories that the japanese would consider as true nishikigoi, then it ain't one. A safe bet is to at least have one of the GO-SANKE varieties in your pond. The fuzzy white stuff seems to be an itch.. not sure. :D

Reaction score
Yeah, we've already lost 2 black ones.

When I look up pictures of ich, though, I see fish with little white dots on them. This fish has big white splotches, but some of the other ones do have smaller white spots.

What's a salt treatment vut?

Reaction score
sorry I meant but.
If search the forum on the site you will find it. There is a link to someone's website tat has it. Either Dr Case or Dr Dave.

Reaction score
Alright, I looked at the salt treatment but it said not to use that and another treatment at the same time. We bought some anti-fungal medicine or something from Petco and poured that in there a few days ago, is it too early to do a salt treatment?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
it aint ich....its probably cotton fungus... methylene blue will take care of the problem,and a few 10% water changes, if thats what it is...should of got a pic under water. ich is white dots!!!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Do you have a hospital tank? If not you can rig one easily using a new trashcan or put a liner into a clean old one. Make sure it is in good condition so it does not burst.
If you goto my website:
http://drdaveskoi.tripod.com/html/remedies.html
You will find instructions and a link to the University of Florida on the use of salt.
Make sure you have a bubbler in the bottom and secure a net or something over the top because the fish may panic and jump out.
I would do it this way because you have better control over the concentration, temperature and water changes.

Ask a Question