G scale backyard railroad

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone what a great forum! I am building a backyard miniature railroad. this railroad is loosely based off of the CaseyJr. ride at Disneyland. I have experience with railroad building but no experience with waterfalls and controlling water flow.

My plan is mostly concrete construction with latex or pool deck paint. There will be no waterlife. Needless to say there will be several water features as well as a river that has to flow water or make a current for model boats to transverse. My main question is should i get a large pump and create a series of valves to different areas? or 1 pump for the waterfall and several pumps for the river? thank you all!! any other ideas are welcomed

Attachments

• trk_dl_casey.jpg
    trk_dl_casey.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 382

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! That will be a neat build!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
default_welcome38gk.gif

Yes, that sounds really interesting. Someone with more experience will have to offer advice about your water feature questions.

We are picture-addicts here, so don't hold back!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
.Welcome and we had one ponder on here that had a railroad around his pond area and all around the yard .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Everyone what a great forum! I am building a backyard miniature railroad. this railroad is loosely based off of the CaseyJr. ride at Disneyland. I have experience with railroad building but no experience with waterfalls and controlling water flow.

My plan is mostly concrete construction with latex or pool deck paint. There will be no waterlife. Needless to say there will be several water features as well as a river that has to flow water or make a current for model boats to transverse. My main question is should i get a large pump and create a series of valves to different areas? or 1 pump for the waterfall and several pumps for the river? thank you all!! any other ideas are welcomed
smtrain.gif
Welcome to GPF

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I've had many indoor model railroads over the years, but never had the chance to build a garden railway. I debated on this with my present stream and ponds, but it would have interfered with my other hobby/business, wildlife photography. I use the stream as a great photo backdrop for birds, dragonflies and frogs!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Chester. Welcome! Here is a picture from our pond tour. The owner of the property has one of the routes of the railroad go directly into his garage where he can store them in the winter with his other "toys". When we go there he also invites railroad enthusiasts there who are running the trains.
20150718_132404.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all for your warm welcome! Anyone have experience creating a controlled directional current? Please weigh in about one big master pump with valves or multiple pumps for each feature? thx.

Ask a Question