Galvanized Steel Chickenwire Gabions in a Pond

Reaction score
I was thinking of using box gabions behind my waterfall. A gabion is one of those chickenwire cages that are filled with rocks that highway departments often use for retaining walls and such.

Question 1: Will the zinc in the wire leach and harm the plants and animals in the pond?
Question 2: If "yes" to number 1, is there a safer and affordable alternative?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi and welcome

I personally do not care for the look of gabions at all, (no insult intended). I look at it this way, you have to build the cage, fill it with stone and the stone really should be stacked/placed well for the best look but more importantly the stability of the gabions also . With just a bit more time just do a natural stone wall. If built correctly the wall will be there for many years. I am a stone mason so I prefer the real to anything man made. I thing when your done you will love the more natural look as opposed to the wire look. Especially for a pond. Also just so you know they do make stainless steel gabions also.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I had to google it to see if I could see what you were talking about. I'm guessing you mean something similar to this:

Fountain-by-Gabion1.jpg

I found quite a few examples of this construction style, but in every one it appears the water doesn't flow over the rock, but rather the weir is installed to project out of the gabion wall. So your question about leeching may not be a concern.

It really is a matter of taste and the look you are trying to achieve. To me this creates a more modern, formal look - definitely nothing you would see in nature. In my opinion, the most beautiful waterfalls are achieved by using a few, large well-placed rocks rather than a pile of small rocks. But - beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Some of the examples of a gabion waterfall that I found were really lovely - just not my style. I could definitely see this look working if you had a small space in which to create a waterfall - no area to berm or build up. And you could plant things that would vine or creep to cover much of the wall, to soften the look... now I'm thinking out loud!

Good luck with your plans! We will all be interested to see how it turns out!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have galvinized wire and it rusted real bad out side .Not sure i would put that with fish .I saw several of them and they were all fishless water features

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
The above pictured example projects a somewhat abstract, cubiest even industrial look. For some pond designs it maybe very suitable but not for a natural theme.

Woolhouse, what is your overall pond, yard even home design? Never be afraid to be different. That is if all the design elements fit together.

Good luck. I look forward to learning more.

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The pictured example projects a abstract even industrial look. For some pond designs it maybe very suitable but not for a natural theme.

Woolhouse, what is your overall pond, yard even home design? Never be afraid to be different. That is if all the design elements fit together.

Good luck. I look forward to learning more.

Hmmm, looks like your attachment failed to "attach".

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have been told that the carbonized wiring can lead to rusting, such as chicken wire, which "could" be unhealthy due to the leaching of too many heavy metals into the water, but I never could find an exact answer nor reasoning to the answers. Although, I have seen ponds with trickle towers built with chicken wire and they have never had any fish ailments. So, I think there might be alot of fear mongering or possibly wishful thinking when it comes to whether it helps or hurts the fish. Sorry, beyond this, I don't know.

Personally, I would look into other options. I would probably look into the stainless steel gabion, but these sound expensive. You could look into using plastic fencing mesh since some of these materials are quite strong and there is no concern of rust infecting the water. Although, this might be a bit expensive as well.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. The gabions are not supposed to be a decorative feature in my case. My pond is unlined and fed by a powerful spring (It actually overflows most of the year). Last year I built a smaller, lined pond on a higher level with a waterfall to the main (mud) pond. The waterfall ended up being more powerful than I expected and it's "tunnelling" out the area behind and below itself under water and stirring up mud. I figured if I built a sort of three-walled box of gabions below the water line it would prevent this.
Why gabions? Because my grandmother was a fanatical gardener! She had this place before me, and she fanatically sifted her garden soil for 40 years. The result? Really nice carrots - and a pile of golf ball sized rocks 10 feet tall and 20 feet wide. I figured I could solve my waterfall problem and get rid of the pile at the same time. (I'd say "kill 2 birds with one stone", but puns are the lowest form of humor).
I suppose I could take the coward's way out and just get a less impressive pump and thus turn down the waterfall. I am currently using a re-purposed farm pump that was originally designed to pump manure slurry from back when this was a dairy farm. It was made in the 50s and still works great - kinda brutal on my electric bill, but man! Does that thing move water! It's like having Niagra falls in the backyard. Plus since it was originally designed to pump slurry it is pretty much bulletproof.
What if I made bags from nylon deer netting and filled them with my rocks and stacked them like sandbags in a WWII movie? I figured the gabions would be more secure and easier to stack, but I don't want to poison my pond!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Woolhouse; when you say 'chicken wire', are you refering to the flimsy stuff sold at home centers, or do you intend to buy ready-made gabion baskets? The hardware-store stuff is going to rust out in contact with water, and probably won't be strong enough to suit your purpose anyway.
John

Reaction score
I would personally stay away from any metal in the pond....just seems like a bad idea. Your explanation is a little confusing to me. Perhaps showing us some pictures might make it easier to see and understand your situation and then offer up a better solution.

Reaction score
I just remembered that I actually have a stainless steel bottom grate on my bird cage and the seams where it is welded and some of the bars themselves have rust on them.....can't imagine it being wet for sustained amounts of time.

Ask a Question