Galvanized stock tank safe for fish?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is a galvanized stock tank safe for pond fish long-term? I'm in my late 60's and am looking for something fool-proof and low-maintenance. I plan to use a small rubber tub bog filter supported within the 8'x3'x2' tank so that if it springs any leaks/overflows no harm is done 'til I can remedy it. I'd prefer to use the Rubbermaid foam stock tank but am not fond of the shape, looking more for a long oval. There are other rubber/plastic types, but I can't get them locally. I've had small ponds for about 20 years, one about 800 gallon hand-dug and one a 110-gallon rubber stock tank, but just moved to a new house and would like something about 300 gallons. Thanks for any input!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Some people claim that they leach zinc and other potentially toxic chemicals into the water, however I used one for some time with no problems that I know of. My best advice would be to use a flexible pond liner inside of the stock tank, so that the water does not come into contact with the metal.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Would put a liner in it, while not acutely toxic, metals like zinc, etc. are toxic to fish and will accumulate in their bodies overtime, eventually causing issues.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks to you both for the informed replies! I've reevaluated and decided on the 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank instead of the galvanized.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some people claim that they leach zinc and other potentially toxic chemicals into the water, however I used one for some time with no problems that I know of. My best advice would be to use a flexible pond liner inside of the stock tank, so that the water does not come into contact with the metal.
Man, your ponds are fantastic and your vision and skill are impressive! Love your aquarium too - seems like you don't do anything in a small way!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Man, your ponds are fantastic and your vision and skill are impressive! Love your aquarium too - seems like you don't do anything in a small way!
Thanks!

Ask a Question