Galvanized stock tanks

Reaction score
My dear husband doesn't know it yet, but i'm considering doing a container pond. Does anyone know if galvanized metal stock tanks are fish safe?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The regular stock tanks are but not sure about the metal ones .I have 3 of the regular ones .

Reaction score
Litzi,

I have been using an eight foot galvanized horse tank for nearly 20 years to keep all sorts of fish in. Absolutely nothing to worry about, except the appearance.

Just one word of caution though, do not set the galvanized tank directly on top of a concrete pad or concrete blocks.
A chemical reaction can occur due to the lime and other chemicals in the concrete and the galvanized coating may become comprimised.
This will expose the bare steel of the tank and allow it to rust and decay and develop leaks prematurely.

Although this is a long-term process you should place some sort of a liner or barrier between the tank and the concrete, if you want to keep your tank for a long time.

Gordy

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother lining the inside of the tank with pond liner, it isn't necessary and would defeat the purpose of the drain port built into the tank wall.

However, if it is desired to set the tank on a concrete slab, then a scrap section of pond liner would be excellent to place between the tank and the concrete.

Gordy

Reaction score
Thanks so much to everyone for their input. I'd be setting it on a concrete patio, so if I go with metal I'll make sure to put a liner or tarp between it and the concrete. I'd imagine the metal would be safe. You have to figure if livestock use a galvanized tank for their drinking water it would be ok, but it never hurts to ask.

Ask a Question