Galvanized stock tanks

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a white residue in the sides of my galvanized pond, it comes off easily and sinks to the bottom. Has anyone had this or know what causes it? Dont want to add fish until I know its 100% safe.

20180710_211057.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, @Jennn! This thread is 5 years old. I think you already started a thread about your tank problem. You’re more likely to get helpful responses from your newer posts, as this thread is more general, rather than problem-specific.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Even tractor supply tells you they should not be used for fish and they also warn you then can and will rust .reason is that the galvinized coating it not as good as it used to be

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Man this is one of those lores isn’t it. I don’t know the answer but this topic sure sits right on top of the galvanized fence.doesnt it? Either “dead fish for sure” or “I’ve been keeping fish for 25 years in galvi tubs”. Treated, sealed, not sealed....I like to call these “thorns” of knowledge. We all know most of them. Boils down to personal experience doesn’t it? I mean some of the folks here are literally walking aquatic encyclopedias who’s knowledge far surpasses many of us put together. Science is science. It does not deceive but it has been wrong. Bottom line, I came here not having a clue how to create and maintain a non-closed mini ecosystem. The knowledge and wisdom combined I have gained would fill a book. My pond has been running 60+ days. I started in March.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have old galvanized tubs in some rocks along side the driveway over 60 years old and no rust on them .They were my mom and dads They have always been outside and been outside since 2005 here .Maybe they have changed the stuff used .I even have 4 watering cans also no rust
100_4213.JPG
100_4215.JPG
100_4215.JPG

Ask a Question