Garage overwintering?

IRL

Reaction score
Hello
Last summer I built a 3 ft deep 1300 gallon koi pond. I had about a dozen koi, ranging from 3-12 inches. I live in Ct, and the ice was 1 foot thick this winter. All the fish died over the winter. I tried to keep a hole in the ice, but I failed to remove all the debri in the fall.
This winter I will run the pump(without the waterfall) and buy a deicer. I. Have recently gotten a small koi, a 10 inch goldfish and about a dozen feeder comets. Would it be ok instead to put them in a 135 gallon tank in the garage this winter instead of the pond? I would run the pond pump and filter in this tank in the garage. Would this be enough room for these fish and possibly more in the winter even though it's cold and they will be dormant? Will their growth be stunted?
Thanks for your help

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If it was me I would bring in the Koi and the 10" goldfish and maybe one or two of the feeders if they turn out really nice and allow the rest of the feeders to stay in the pond and see how they do with the water flow and de-icer. you need to figure out if your going to be able to do a over winter or not and if not down the road as the koi grow you'll need a bigger over winter tank. but for what your listing now and over the winter you may be ok with that size pond. I would get the filter and indoor pond running as the water temp outside starts getting close to 50. By that time you'll have stopped feeding outside, and the filter will still have good bacteria for inside as the bacteria start dying off once the water gets gets below about 45-50 degrees.

Reaction score
IRL said:
Hello
Last summer I built a 3 ft deep 1300 gallon koi pond. I had about a dozen koi, ranging from 3-12 inches. I live in Ct, and the ice was 1 foot thick this winter. All the fish died over the winter. I tried to keep a hole in the ice, but I failed to remove all the debri in the fall.
This winter I will run the pump(without the waterfall) and buy a deicer. I. Have recently gotten a small koi, a 10 inch goldfish and about a dozen feeder comets. Would it be ok instead to put them in a 135 gallon tank in the garage this winter instead of the pond? I would run the pond pump and filter in this tank in the garage. Would this be enough room for these fish and possibly more in the winter even though it's cold and they will be dormant? Will their growth be stunted?
Thanks for your help

1300 gals is large enough but your depth could be the problem. I live in N.Y. about 60 miles west of NYC. I had a small 600 gal pond last year it was about 40 inches deep. I don't think the ice got to be 12 inches but I kept an aerator going through the winter. Even if it iced over which it did only with heavy snow fall the aerator still will push out the bad gasses. The air will find and exit and escape. The aerator will create a dome of ice which you can melt down w/ a pot or a kettle of hot water. The pond I have now is 2500 gals and i winterized it the same way with a 500 gpm pump with a venturi i made.

Ask a Question